DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LEVELING (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=261)
-   -   Rear Bilsteins Question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=158923)

theGSE10 11-20-2013 08:35 AM

Rear Bilsteins Question

Okay, so I've been struggling to find info anywhere on this so now I have to ask.

I'm considering doing Bilsteins front and rear with a 2.1 setting up front, however all the websites I've looked at list the rear as a 1" lift. Is this true? Do the rear shocks raise the rear 1"? :4-dontknow:

Just some back ground info:
I like the slight rake look and need it for towing our trailer so I'm planning on keeping a little rake. I am really just looking for a slight lift so I can fit 275/65/20's down the road....with that said though, if I do this front and rear lift/level how much total lift can I expect? As in total height to the top of the truck, would I be looking at roughly a 2" increase?

DAA 11-20-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theGSE10 (Post 1250071)
Do the rear shocks raise the rear 1"? :4-dontknow:

No. The rears don't lift the truck at all. They simply have a bit longer extended length, making them appropriate for use with a 1" lift. SThey work fine with no lift as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theGSE10 (Post 1250071)
...if I do this front and rear lift/level how much total lift can I expect? As in total height to the top of the truck, would I be looking at roughly a 2" increase?

Depends on where on the truck you measure. At the front fenders, yeah, it will be close to 2". At the rear, not sure, but might actually be 0. Definitely won't be much though, if you only do a front level and nothing in the rear (and just installing new shocks is doing nothing, as far as ride height is concerned).

- DAA

theGSE10 11-20-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAA (Post 1250076)
No. The rears don't lift the truck at all. They simply have a bit longer extended length, making them appropriate for use with a 1" lift. SThey work fine with no lift as well.

Great, thanks! That's exactly what I was wondering. So if I did want to lift the back up I would want to get a spacer and the shock right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAA (Post 1250076)
Depends on where on the truck you measure. At the front fenders, yeah, it will be close to 2". At the rear, not sure, but might actually be 0. Definitely won't be much though, if you only do a front level and nothing in the rear (and just installing new shocks is doing nothing, as far as ride height is concerned).

- DAA

That's good to hear! I definitely want to go higher but for the time being I'm stuck parking in a garage at work. Max height there is 6' 8" and the truck @ top of the shark fin antenna is 6' 6"

theGSE10 11-20-2013 12:02 PM

@ DAA

Just saw your truck on another thread and I have to say well done! Looks beautiful! That's exactly the look I want to go for :smileup:

kev12345 11-21-2013 11:24 PM

So is there any benefit to getting the rear shocks if you put a 1" rear spacer as opposed to using the 1" spacer with the stock shock?

brandonjansen 11-22-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev12345 (Post 1251503)
So is there any benefit to getting the rear shocks if you put a 1" rear spacer as opposed to using the 1" spacer with the stock shock?

Better ride quality.....

I already answered your question in another thread so I'll leave it at that.

Pimppapa1977 11-22-2013 04:36 PM

Good info here!