DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2009 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Advice on better gas mileage for Hemi (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=158948)

dennismonsewicz 11-20-2013 04:43 PM

Advice on better gas mileage for Hemi

Hello, I am a newb to the Hemi motor community and was wondering if there were any best practices on getting better gas mileage out of my Hemi? My truck is a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Big Horn Edition with the Hemi v8. I already know about adjusting my driving habits; I just didn't know if there were any mods I can do to get a little better gas mileage out of the engine.

06PowerWagon 11-20-2013 05:22 PM

4wd or 2wd ... Need more info .. axle ratio...
You cant do like 75mph more like 58-62mph.. and Cold Air Take... Exhaust....turner...

dennismonsewicz 11-20-2013 05:26 PM

4wd and I will have to look up the axle ratio for you

yamifz1 11-20-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06PowerWagon (Post 1250311)
4wd or 2wd ... Need more info .. axle ratio...
You cant do like 75mph more like 58-62mph.. and Cold Air Take... Exhaust....turner...

He is right on the money, slow down, CAI, exhaust and a tuner will all theoretically help...except the exhaust, CAI and tuner will make you want to put your foot into it thus ruining your gas mileage..:doh:

06PowerWagon 11-20-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yamifz1 (Post 1250317)
He is right on the money, slow down, CAI, exhaust and a tuner will all theoretically help...except the exhaust, CAI and tuner will make you want to put your foot into it thus ruining your gas mileage..:doh:

She*** ... :D :158: But I mean I also have a Power Wagon (2500) SLT and I don't do 75mph on the highway or my gas would be gone! I cruise control it at 58/62ish....

dennismonsewicz 11-20-2013 05:33 PM

With some of the items you mentioned (addons for the vehicle), how much improvement can I expect?

06PowerWagon 11-20-2013 05:35 PM

Afew miles to the gallon ... Its not going to be like 15 or anything ... BUT youll gain HP-Miles to the gallon

Excoastie 11-21-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennismonsewicz (Post 1250322)
With some of the items you mentioned (addons for the vehicle), how much improvement can I expect?

Best case, you'll be looking at maybe 1-2 mpg increase, if you're really luck you might get 3 mpg once in awhile.

There isn't really a hell of a lot that you can do to increase the fuel mileage of the HEMI, other than slow down and do the "Driving Miss Daisy" thing.

I've tried really hard, and the best that I've ever seen around town is about 15 mpg, and that was doing really slow starts, and trying to keep the revs under 3000 rpms. With my wife driving on a 600+ mile trip we did see 21 mpg on the interstate, though the best I've done personally is about 19.6.

The HEMI likes to drink the fuel, and there is very little that can be done, except to feed the beast.

good luck

Exco

theGSE10 11-21-2013 09:49 AM

Honestly, you're foot is the biggest saver! It took me a while to learn this, but if you can resist the urge to listen to that big brute under the hood sing your gas mileage will soar up.

When I first got the truck I was around 13-14 cause I LOVED hearing the rumble....but I sit closer to 16 now that I can drive it more conservatively. (my daily drive is 60% city, 40% hwy)

Muffler, CAI, and tuner will help but once again only if you can keep your foot out of it. I've done both muffler and high-flow filter and it really hasn't amounted to much other than teasing me with a meaner growl :LOL:

So definitely try driving more conservatively, but don't be afraid to drop some mpg's when Ford's and Chevy's pull up at a light. ;)

Swaggerville Ram 11-21-2013 01:37 PM

Single bigggest improvement (aside from driving style) I made was pumping the tire pressure up to 50psi (non factory tires).