DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Aftermarket Brakes (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=267)
-   -   Powerstop fitment issue (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=159023)

HOOAHHemi 11-21-2013 01:26 PM

Powerstop fitment issue

I ordered a powerstop brake kit for my 2006 Ram 1500 4x4 from Summit racing. I just tried to put the front brakes on, new rotors and pads, but much to my dismay I found that the new pads and rotors won't fit in the stock brake caliper. I have changed my brake pads before but this is the first time for the rotors. I seems that it is only 5mm off at most. Should I have the new rotors shaved down? I'm clueless as to where to go from here and would rather save $350+ doing the install myself then taking it somewhere and letting them figure it out. You gear heads have never let me down before!!

LowUFO 11-21-2013 01:43 PM

Something doesn't smell right. Don't machine off any material from your rotors. You shouldn't have to. Did you push back the caliper pistons as far as you can?

HOOAHHemi 11-21-2013 05:08 PM

I'll have to give it another go and see if maybe I wasn't doing something right. I pushed the calipers back as far as they would go, or so I am thinking I did. I'm at work now, it'll have to wait until Saturday. I checked and double checked my order against the part numbers on powerstop's website and it's the same kit numbers. Thanks for the response and hopefully I get it figured out.

LowUFO 11-21-2013 06:05 PM

No worries. My guess is the pistons aren't pushed back far enough.

jcon44 11-27-2013 10:41 AM

I installed the same set on my 05 and they fit fine. i used c-clamps on the pistons.

HOOAHHemi 11-29-2013 10:50 PM

I haven't had the time between work and family and Thanksgiving but as soon as I get a minute, I'll check it out again. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

crusher 12-17-2013 02:38 PM

so is this fix now?

i would also tough the piston are not completly push back

i usualy put one of the old pad against the piston and use a big chanel lock pliers or a big c-clamp to compress it when i dont have the proper piston tool,.. maybe you can try that

GTyankee 12-17-2013 03:07 PM

That is what the mechanic did with my brake job
he took the old brake pad & placed it against the caliper pistons & used a C clamp to compress them

crusher 12-17-2013 03:50 PM

yes it works like a charm,. almost better than with the real piston compression tool imo

HOOAHHemi 12-27-2013 06:13 PM

I'll try both of those techniques. It's been a crazy month and I just haven't had the time to stop and install the new set. I can't wait until the holidays are over.