DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Washing & Waxing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Waxing Plastics/Chrome (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=159041)

james1114 11-21-2013 04:46 PM

Waxing Plastics/Chrome

Does anyone recommend waxing the plastic of he headlights or tail lights? Also, is it safe to wax the chrome bumpers and show chrome door handles?

Hermes1 11-21-2013 05:09 PM

The headlights I would use a UV protectant spray such as Aerospace 303, there are others but this is the best. Tail lights i suppose you could do the same, but I never have or waxed them. Yes to waxing the chrome bumpers.

PaulMys 11-21-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermes1 (Post 1251199)
The headlights I would use a UV protectant spray such as Aerospace 303, there are others but this is the best. Tail lights i suppose you could do the same, but I never have or waxed them. Yes to waxing the chrome bumpers.

X2 on 303 for headlights/taillights. All plastic, really. And as Hermes said: yes to waxing chrome bumpers, wheels, etc. (after proper cleaning, of course.)

james1114 11-21-2013 08:39 PM

PaulMys

Thanks for the info. Do you know if the tips on the exhaust are chrome? They look stainless to me?

Grubrunner 11-21-2013 08:52 PM

Are you looking to go this route as a protectant or for bling?

james1114 11-21-2013 09:04 PM

Honestly, more for protectant. I'm still very much learning the detail process. I've read the forums front and back...just a lot to absorb. I'd like the chrome to shine, but more so be protected.

PaulMys 11-21-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james1114 (Post 1251369)
PaulMys

Thanks for the info. Do you know if the tips on the exhaust are chrome? They look stainless to me?

They are chrome-plated as well. I wax these too when I do the whole the truck, otherwise it's just my wash medium/detail spray. I do not think waxing these adds any extra noticeable "bling" as Grub said, just peace of mind that they are that much more protected. Hope this helps! :smileup:

james1114 11-21-2013 09:14 PM

Thanks! I don't mean to keep jumping topics, but you all are very helpful. I need some help with cleaning the rims. I have the aluminum 20in. rims with plastic inserts. Doesn't look like there's a clear coat on them. Any advice on cleaning/protecting?

PaulMys 11-21-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james1114 (Post 1251414)
Thanks! I don't mean to keep jumping topics, but you all are very helpful. I need some help with cleaning the rims. I have the aluminum 20in. rims with plastic inserts. Doesn't look like there's a clear coat on them. Any advice on cleaning/protecting?

You mean the chrome clads, I'm assuming. There are many threads on here about this, do a search or just scroll down a few pages. But for a FNG, (LOL), just treat them as easily as you would your paint. They are easily scratched, so I always give them a good jet of water, wash them with your wash medium (micro fiber a must), air dry them, (Leaf-blower is great) apply a good cleaner/polish (I love Plexus), then apply wax to them every other wash cycle or so. This will create a barrier against the brake dust, and make washing much easier while protecting the rims' surface.

Grubrunner 11-21-2013 09:35 PM

Great job, Paul.