DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Oil Change (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Oil? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=159679)

Coach Borne 11-29-2013 10:46 PM

Oil?

I went to Ralph Sellers dealership today in Gonzales La. The service guy told me that i didn't have to change my oil until 6k. I asked him if it was because of synthetic and he said no its conventional and that it didn't pay to used synthetic anymore. My take on it is that they probably don't make enough profit on synthetic. By the way this was on of the Managers in the service department. I currently have 2k on my truck and wanted to change the break in oil. He talked me out of it. Probably just going to do it myself and say screw the dealership. Any thoughts.

RogerRamJet 11-30-2013 03:41 AM

Just doing it yourself is a great idea. Synthetic is always the better way to go. Synthetic doesn't break down as quick as dino oil. The cost of synthetic has come way down making it a much better choice, IMHO. Make sure you get a quality filter to go along with your new synthetic oil.

OldJoe 11-30-2013 05:56 AM

The dealer is an absolute last resort for me.I have only had my Ram for a couple of months, had no problems what so ever and have never enjoyed a new truck more. I will change my oil myself every 5000 miles, will use 5-20 synthetic on the first change and stick with it thereafter. I am leaning towards just getting Mopar filters and sticking with them.
Just a note about other people changing your oil. My wife's Camry came with a few free oil changes. The free deal ran out and I changed it the last time and it about took two men and a boy to get the filter canister loosened. The newer Camrys have a canister system with a specified torque which if followed makes it much easier to change it the next time. My point is that they can even screw up something as simple as a routine oil change. If you know how to do it, do it yourself.

RogerRamJet 11-30-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldJoe (Post 1257278)
The dealer is an absolute last resort for me.I have only had my Ram for a couple of months, had no problems what so ever and have never enjoyed a new truck more. I will change my oil myself every 5000 miles, will use 5-20 synthetic on the first change and stick with it thereafter. I am leaning towards just getting Mopar filters and sticking with them.
Just a note about other people changing your oil. My wife's Camry came with a few free oil changes. The free deal ran out and I changed it the last time and it about took two men and a boy to get the filter canister loosened. The newer Camrys have a canister system with a specified torque which if followed makes it much easier to change it the next time. My point is that they can even screw up something as simple as a routine oil change. If you know how to do it, do it yourself.

Agreed! Do it yourself when possible.

Coach Borne 12-01-2013 09:14 AM

I will be doing it myself the dealer owes me one free oil change for screwing up the delivery of my truck by only giving me one key fob and didn't tell me any different. It wasn't until the next day I had that wait a minute thought. I really don't trust are like this dealership.

AS ALWAYS THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Coach Borne 12-01-2013 09:15 AM

RogerRamJet,
is that just a picture of the ram emblem or is that actually on your Truck. It looks awesome

Hermes1 12-01-2013 09:35 AM

RogerRamJet is right and you are making a good choice. The dealership you went to was either misleading you, motivated by profit or both.

RogerRamJet 12-01-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Borne (Post 1257988)
RogerRamJet,
is that just a picture of the ram emblem or is that actually on your Truck. It looks awesome

That's the front emblem on my grille. Thank you, kindly! I have an early 3rd gen, so the Ram emblem is fused to the top of the grille.