DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 3.6 Liter Pentastar V6 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=252)
-   -   Catch Can install for the Pentastar V6 (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=159713)

gcscott 11-30-2013 03:57 PM

Catch Can install for the Pentastar V6
 
When I removed my engine cover, I found a small puddle of oil at the Throttle Body, oil in the engine cover and in the PCV line. I had only 2000 miles on the truck and none of them were hard driven miles. (no WOT)

I ordered and installed a Billet Technology Catch Can on my 2013 Pentastar 3.6L V6 Engine. I found very little information on installing a Catch Can for the Pentastar Engine.

No one makes a Catch Can Kit for a Ram truck with the Pentastar V6 engine, so I went and ordered a Catch Can Kit from BT. Part # (Billet Technology Signature Series Catch Can 2011 and up Jeep 5.7L, Jeep 6.4L and Durango 5.7L)

The kit comes with 1 Catch Can and mounting bracket, 2 hoses 1/2", 1 double male brass hose connector 1/2" with barbed ends, and 2 screws.

I had to purchase (1) 1/2" brass 90` fitting and (2) 1/2" brass male hose connectors with barbed ends. These 3 parts make up a 90` hose fitting and were purchased at Home Depot.

I mounted the Catch Can on the side of the TIPM wiring box using one existing hole and drilling one additional hole. I used 5/16" hardware.

I removed the PCV hose from the engine cover and cut off 6". Next I inserted the supplied 1/2" double male barbed connector into the outlet end of the PCV hose (one you just cut) coming from the back of the engine. Next attach the supplied 1/2" hose to the connector and run it to the inlet side of the Catch Can.

Next assemble the 3 brass parts to make up the 90` fitting and take the other end of the cut hose (cut down so the brass barbed end just fits) and insert into the barbed fitting. Connect the supplied hose to the 90` fitting and to the outlet side of the Catch Can. Connect the other end to the inlet on the engine cover.

I took 17 pictures and I have them in order of progression with captions.

See the pictures here: http://s1331.photobucket.com/user/gcscott/library/Catch%20Can%20Install%20Pictures?sort=6&page=1

Total cost was about $150

Any questions just ask.

Greg

ZMW 12-13-2013 02:44 PM

What is the past # on the catch can? I will follow your instruction and install this next month. Nice write up

gcscott 12-14-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZMW (Post 1267690)
What is the past # on the catch can? I will follow your instruction and install this next month. Nice write up

Line #3 in my post.

No one makes a Catch Can Kit for a Ram truck with the Pentastar V6 engine, so I went and ordered a Catch Can Kit from BT. Part # (Billet Technology Signature Series Catch Can 2011 and up Jeep 5.7L, Jeep 6.4L and Durango 5.7L)

Go to there site. The instructions that come with the kit are for a 5.7 hemi engine so you will have to MOD the kit to get it to work. That is what I did in my post. My biggest concern was the inside diameter of the hoses that came with the kit. The hoses were the correct size that I needed and extra long and needed to be cut down.

Greg

jsl6v8 03-08-2014 11:05 PM

ok I really hate to ask because there is no good way to say this, are you sure thats the PCV valve hose. If you look at http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6cfd7b17.jpg

On my truck I have on that second hose on the left side of the engine if you go back from the throttle body, a parts label on the hose, for part 68083250AA-H which from a simple google search pulls up as a Hose, PCV. I bought a catch can and was going to install it today, I think me and a buddy spent a solid hour debating which hose was the PCV hose, he thought it was the one you used at first and I thought it was the one on the left side of the engine and then I figured well hell there is a part number on the hose just pull it up and it seems to think it is a PCV hose. I've search the internet high and low and as far as I can tell you are the only person to have put the catch can on a ram 1500 3.6L and live to tell the tale, so to speak. Not trying to insult you or cause problems just want to make absolutely certain I have the right hose before I start cutting things and drilling holes into my new truck.

gcscott 03-09-2014 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsl6v8 (Post 1353510)
ok I really hate to ask because there is no good way to say this, are you sure thats the PCV valve hose. If you look at http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6cfd7b17.jpg

On my truck I have on that second hose on the left side of the engine if you go back from the throttle body, a parts label on the hose, for part 68083250AA-H which from a simple google search pulls up as a Hose, PCV. I bought a catch can and was going to install it today, I think me and a buddy spent a solid hour debating which hose was the PCV hose, he thought it was the one you used at first and I thought it was the one on the left side of the engine and then I figured well hell there is a part number on the hose just pull it up and it seems to think it is a PCV hose. I've search the internet high and low and as far as I can tell you are the only person to have put the catch can on a ram 1500 3.6L and live to tell the tale, so to speak. Not trying to insult you or cause problems just want to make absolutely certain I have the right hose before I start cutting things and drilling holes into my new truck.

I used the hose that is labeled in the picture and I am not 100% sure it is the correct hose. I found oil in the front of my throttle body and the only way the oil could of got there was through this hose that enters the engine intake cover. I also had oil in my engine cover and I cleaned that out using a paper towel which came out with oil on it.

When I did the catch can I had no information on where to attach the hoses that is why I used this hose. I read through many threads on other forums for Pentastar V6 catch cans (none were for the Ram Truck) and picked this hose.

I am not the only one to use this hose. You can look here at another install thread. http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=168143

If I have the wrong hose please let me know and please post pictures of what hose you used and do a write up of what you did.

I would like to see more people post what they do to their Pentastar V6 trucks.

Greg

jsl6v8 03-15-2014 02:55 PM

I still haven't found what I'd be willing to call a definitive answer. I did have one guy say "You don't really have PCV it has a centerfuge on the back of the pass side head run off of the cam" But honestly that answer just doesn't make sense to me.

Juma 03-21-2014 10:30 AM

the PCV line is always plugged in after the throttle plate.

the line you used is to suck air into the engine to circulate back to the intake through the pcv system. It can still get oil in it if the system is not sucking and it normally doesn't suck sometimes which will allow oil to come out there too.

so, the catch can has to be plumbed into the other line pointed out by gcscott.

jsl6v8 03-21-2014 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juma (Post 1365624)
the PCV line is always plugged in after the throttle plate.

the line you used is to suck air into the engine to circulate back to the intake through the pcv system. It can still get oil in it if the system is not sucking and it normally doesn't suck sometimes which will allow oil to come out there too.

so, the catch can has to be plumbed into the other line pointed out by gcscott.

Sorry just trying to understand better, when you say throttle plate are you talking about the throttle body? I've had the catchcan sitting in the back of my truck for a while now, haven't felt good about where its suppose to go so haven't done anything with it yet.

Juma 03-22-2014 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsl6v8 (Post 1365885)
Sorry just trying to understand better, when you say throttle plate are you talking about the throttle body? I've had the catchcan sitting in the back of my truck for a while now, haven't felt good about where its suppose to go so haven't done anything with it yet.

Yes, throttle body.

jlc41 03-22-2014 12:55 PM

Got this from Car & Driver article. (Still searching for engine drawing/pcv). The Pentastar is also more compact than the engines it replaces. Chrysler used torque-activated cam phasers that minimize cylinder-head width, so these DOHC heads are no wider than the SOHC heads on prior engines. There’s also a neat space-saving innovation for the PCV system. It employs a camshaft-mounted centrifuge that spins to separate oil from crankcase blowby gasses. The design eliminates the need for larger PCV system plumbing, which Chrysler says shaves two inches off the Pentastar’s height. An added benefit: smaller engines leave more crush space in the engine bay, improving crash-test performance.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger