DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Info on oil catch cans (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=159908)

Chiefgunrsm8 12-02-2013 09:11 PM

Info on oil catch cans

I am going to be taking delivery of my '14 Laramie at either the end of this week or the beginning of next week. CS told me today it was off loaded off the train here yesterday and is scheduled to be to the dealership by Friday. I hope so since the rail yard is only about 5 miles from my dealership. Anyway....

I have been reading quite a bit about the benefits of installing an oil catch can and I was wonder what opinions there are about them, if its recommended to install one right from the get go, and if so, does anyone have pics on how their's was installed on the Hemi 5.7

Edit: what brands are recommended also

teflon74 12-02-2013 10:16 PM

go to the billet technologies web site. lots of info there and I recommend their can. Yes put it on asap, it keeps all the engine oil blow by out of the intake so it stays way cleaner. I have one on the wifes Daytona and one on the bench for my 14 limited.

Chiefgunrsm8 12-02-2013 11:13 PM

Thanks Teflon. I checked out billet technologies website and as you said it was very informative.

At the end of the video showing the install with the Z bracket, the cameraman asks about the EGR block offs. Scott states that you need a custom tune in order utilize them. Is doing the EGR block offs required/recommended and are there any risks to tuning?

This the first vehicle aside from my Harley's that I've even considered doing mods to, so this very new to me and I worry a little about screwing something up as I read another thread where one guy thinks his tuner screwed up his tranny. I just want to be cautious and learn as much as possible before pulling the trigger.

I drive 'em, I don't fix 'em.....yet

RogerRamJet 12-03-2013 04:27 AM

Lots of flavors to choose from out there. I got a Craftsman air/water separator for an air compressor, some exhaust hose and made my own. It works great. Whatever flavor you go with, do it ASAP.

Hermes1 12-03-2013 09:22 AM

It certainly will not hurt to install a catch can in the beginning as the longer you wait, the more build up in the intake. Although I did not install mine until 6K on the clock and the intake was clean. It is a worthwhile mod and if it is on your radar screen and you are able, sooner is better than later. I installed a Moroso because it is a high quality unit and has a drain, so you do not have to remove the can to drain the slop.

ProjectPat919 12-03-2013 10:18 AM

Have they released new catch cans for the 14s with the new A/C lines? and the 8speed hemi?

jsettle 12-03-2013 10:37 AM

I have a 13 Sport with 1300 miles on it and I will be installing my catch can in 2 weeks!

Grubrunner 12-03-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProjectPat919 (Post 1259692)
Have they released new catch cans for the 14s with the new A/C lines? and the 8speed hemi?

How do these impede the can's mount/location?

Axe Man 12-03-2013 11:59 AM

If you have not have one, do you need to clean the intake before installing?

Hermes1 12-03-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axe Man (Post 1259769)
If you have not have one, do you need to clean the intake before installing?

No you can install it without prior cleaning, but it would be a good idea to do so while you are in the neighborhood.