DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   slow to shift into 4+4 (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=160165)

bartlett 12-06-2013 02:12 AM

slow to shift into 4+4

anyone have this issue ? My 2013 shifts butt slow. I switch into 4+4 and the light flashes for like 15-30 seconds. I had to sit and wait for it.

I was climbing my driveway after a 8" snowfall and my truck didnt want to go up it. so I stopped and switched to 4+4 waited like 2 seconds and gave it some gas,,,,,,Nope ....waited a few more seconds,,,,nope ,,,,,shifted to N then to D ,,,nope ,,,,reverse to D ...ok then she went in ... This electric transfercase stuff is for the birds.... not a fan ...I wish I would have got a manual shift. I can see getting stranded with a truck that wont shift. :smiledown:

Monster5601 12-06-2013 04:21 AM

You didn't say what transfer case you have nor does your profile list your trim level. When the light is flashing the transfer case is attempting to make the requested change but the conditions required to make the change have not been met.

The owners' manual details the conditions and what else to do if the shift did not happen for each transfer case version. I think if you read through this section (section 5, FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE) to understand the conditions, it will eliminate your frustration.

As far as anyone else have these issues, I've not seen any chatter.

Tribute2Troops 12-06-2013 04:44 AM

Thought I was alone with the slow shifting transfer case. My 97 Yukon is faster. I haven't check out the owners manual either. So....

bartlett 12-06-2013 05:03 AM

mines the tradesman , 4+4 lock . Ive owned 4+4 my entire life. conditions met are Im sitting stuck in 2wd and need 4wd ! lol .. :LOL:

Asur 12-06-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bartlett (Post 1262008)
mines the tradesman , 4+4 lock . Ive owned 4+4 my entire life. conditions met are Im sitting stuck in 2wd and need 4wd ! lol .. :LOL:

4WD Lock is not the same as 4WD Auto, Because there is a physical lock in the transfer case and the truck is not moving sometimes, the wheels have different weight pushing on them or the incline of the hill, it cannot easily lock the 2 drive lines together, best way when standing still is to just put the truck in natural and let the truck move a tiny bit by slowly letting off the brake, this is usually all that is needed for it to transition to the 4WD Lock position. If by doing this in these particular times does not help then check in with your dealer, just see if it can be reproduced easily or they will just say its normal.

chuck2417 12-06-2013 09:43 AM

4x4 Lock does take a bit longer. To make it go quicker I find turn off traction control, put transmission into neutral and you should be stopped. I haven't tried letting off the brake. the 4x4 Auto takes 3-5 seconds maybe from 2wd. I have the 8 speed transmission and mine is controlled by the buttons. 4wd lock takes longer than all the rest, for reasons mentioned above by Asur.

Thunderhorse 12-06-2013 02:19 PM

I believe it shifts into 4wd easier if you are moving with your foot off the gas.