DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
-   -   Headlights... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=160549)

loud450man 12-10-2013 09:48 PM

Headlights...

I've searched but haven't really found anything helpful yet. My 97 rams headlights suck. the lenses aren't really hazed up like most but there just not bright enough at all. I'm new to the truck scene and don't know about this stuff so sorry if I sound like a idiot. But is there any bulbs I can buy or something to replace the stock ones that would be brighter? maybe them blue ones I see a lot they look pretty bright, it would have to be something I could get at AutoZone or advanced auto or something like that. thanks!!

KingofDomain 12-10-2013 10:17 PM

If you don't know, you have to ask. You're NOT an idiot, sometimes to find a solution you have to rely on others. Your in the right place, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra makes a good bulb for the head light. Xenon HID headlights are illegal in some states, I would check before you go that route. That's a pricey one too. Sylvania makes a blue type bulb for the headlight SilverStar zXe, it's suppose to compete with the Xenon HID's. It has a cobalt blue coating but with a crisp white light. There are Halo replacement headlights if ya want to go hog wild, but they can get pricey too. As far as the yellowish coating on your head lights, I would recommend a buffing wheel like a professional would use in applying wax to the surface of your vehicle. I tried an over the counter method used in tandem with a cordless drill and left burn marks on trying to remove the yellowish coating off the lens. The instructions don't quite give you a full description on how to take it step by step. Learn from experience is how most have learned, after my experience a friend of mine came over and used a buffing wheel with a little carnauba wax. To my amazement after he was finished, the headlights looked brand new. I hopes this helps, good luck!!

Never hesitate to ask a question on this forum loud450man.

loud450man 12-10-2013 10:24 PM

thanks man and yea the hids are legal here so I may get those I really just want a new bulb without a kit and more wires and stuff like some of the kits ive seen.

the persuader 12-11-2013 12:47 AM

I would go with a Sport conversion, personally. The single beam Dodge headlights suck. The sport quad beam headlights with clear housings are very bright, even without HID's.

They rivaled my stock 02 GMC quad beam headlights with 35w HID highs and lows.

loud450man 12-12-2013 10:19 PM

I ended up buying a set of silver star ultra bulbs and I ordered these headlights to match my blacked out tails...http://i43.tinypic.com/33255b4.jpg

Lazarus Truck 12-13-2013 11:33 PM

One of the reviews from the Rams when new was "poor -headlights". and they never got better. If you dont have a "Sport", then stay away from "sport" stuff. They wont fit. they had two lamps, not a single "dual element like a regular truck. I bought some on Amazon that did the job, and had the look I wanted, for about $150.

Bigred74 12-14-2013 08:10 AM

i may be wrong on this because i have never owned tinted lights but doesnt the tinted headlight make your light output less? so even with a brighter bulb you may be at the same place output wise from the headlight your trying to replace. i ordered projector headlights from autoanything for my 99 and they just come with a standard bulb but man did it make a difference in my light output!! and i plan on switching them to H.I.D's down the road to make them even brighter :smileup:

slimpartywagon 12-14-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigred74 (Post 1268329)
i may be wrong on this because i have never owned tinted lights but doesnt the tinted headlight make your light output less? so even with a brighter bulb you may be at the same place output wise from the headlight your trying to replace. i ordered projector headlights from autoanything for my 99 and they just come with a standard bulb but man did it make a difference in my light output!! and i plan on switching them to H.I.D's down the road to make them even brighter :smileup:

My borhter is running smoked HID Halo headlights on his 2012 F150, and you can't tell the difference between Smoked and clear when the lights turn on. But it could also be due to the technology in the lens. His lights were very expensive. I think he said he paid almost 400 bucks for them. but I don't remember. I will have to ask him next time I talk to him.

JwhiteH 02-18-2014 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loud450man (Post 1267290)
I ended up buying a set of silver star ultra bulbs and I ordered these headlights to match my blacked out tails...http://i43.tinypic.com/33255b4.jpg

Uhhh.... Hate to bring up old threads butttt where did you find these?? Quad headlights black housing with integrated corner light? I have the sport and quad lights but they are ugly. These would be great with my trucks red and black theme. I haven't seen these on eBay/Amazon