DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Ball Joints and Control Arms (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=160693)

03Rammer 12-12-2013 05:37 PM

Ball Joints and Control Arms

Is it worth my while to purchase upper control arms instead of trying to press in new ball joints on the old ones?

I've been looking online and it seems that its a real pain to swap these out. I do want to make sure to replace them with greaseable ones. It doesn't seem right that they can be sealed and never need servicing...

Should I go ahead and replace upper and lower and do the tie rod end at the same time?

What are your thoughts?

AFMEDIC 12-13-2013 08:17 PM

Yes. I just did mine a few months ago and man what a difference it made. I would do it all at once. Anything you do with ball joints will alter the alignment, so anything that would require an alignment should be done right now, that way you only have to pay for 1 alignment instead of multiples as you do things. I went ahead and did a torsion bar crank on mine and I love the way it sits now. It only took a few hours to do upper and lower ball joints and control arm bushings on both sides of the truck (using the upper control arm replacements)

03Rammer 12-17-2013 09:38 AM

AFMEDIC - Thanks for the info. I can handle a few hours for sure. Replacing everything is what I was leaning towards. What brand of ball joints and control arms did you use?

bparsel 12-17-2013 05:35 PM

Go with Moog, they are serviceable to make things easier in the future.

TJC.geotech 12-17-2013 05:44 PM

The reason they sell the entire control arm these days is because it is very easy to distort them when you're taking the old joints out.

03Rammer 12-18-2013 09:06 AM

Thanks guys. Sounds like I've got my project arranged for January. I appreciate the help.

AFMEDIC 12-18-2013 07:42 PM

I used the expensive autozone ones with a warranty (My step-dad is a manager there) and they have been great. The lowers are greasable, but the uppers are not. It is a considerable price difference for the greasable uppers, you might as well just run it for 5 years and replace them again! Make sure when you get the lowers, you buy 90 degree offset zerk fittings. You cannot get a grease gun on the straight ones with the front axle. Its a tight fit with the 90 degree ones but they work. only added another $2 to the project

G36Rick 12-30-2013 12:11 AM

I replaced my whole entire front end on my '03 last December. I went with the Moog uppers (wishbones,with ball joints)). I made them greaseable by drilling with a stop drill,installed self tapping zerks $2.50 for a package.Worked like a charm. Just remember ,prior to installing the zerks, to clean and flush the joint of drill shavings,there won't be much. Then Grease when installed and your set.