DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   2013 sport with 8speed, will not go in park (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=161660)

sablefish 12-24-2013 11:56 PM

2013 sport with 8speed, will not go in park

MY 2013 ram sport with the 8speed trans wont go into park. I turn the dash nob and a service trans warning comes up on the screen and the truck would not shut off. I finally got the truck to shut down by holding in the start button for about half a minute. Now the truck is sitting dead at work, think the battery drained because the warning screen would not shut down and I had to go to work. Any one else have the problem of the 8speed trans not shifting into park?

Silvercreek 12-25-2013 04:08 AM

Sounds like it's time for trip to the dealer. Things like that can get very frustrating huh?

bartlett 12-25-2013 06:31 AM

yea I forseen that as being a big problem whit no manual lever to pull push ect

Bad deal ...:smiledown:

Monster5601 12-25-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bartlett (Post 1276405)
yea I forseen that as being a big problem whit no manual lever to pull push ect

Bad deal ...:smiledown:

Even if you had a console shifter, it is still electrical. They done away with mechanical linkage for sometime now.

OldJoe 12-25-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monster5601 (Post 1276426)
Even if you had a console shifter, it is still electrical. They done away with mechanical linkage for sometime now.

That's correct, Monster.I have heard of a couple of the switches on the rotary going bad. It makes me nervous because I don't know anyway that you can bypass it to get home if it happens. I do think it is important to put it in park before shutting off the key, even though there is an override that automatically shifts it out of drive to park. A couple of times in the beginning I forgot to first put it in park and it seems to really hesitate before it does its auto thing. I get the distinct feeling that it doesn't like it when I forget!

TransEngineer 12-25-2013 10:24 AM

Sounds like there is some physical problem in the trans, that is preventing the park pawl from engaging (or a bad Park sensor, that thinks the pawl is not engaged when it really is). Your dealer should be able to take care of it for you. Not a common problem, but I understand your frustration! Sorry for the hassle you are having!

sablefish 12-25-2013 10:58 AM

Brought my code reader with me to work today. P0850 park neutral switch. Any one know if this can be bypassed. Can I put a jumper wire on it. Where on trans is it located. It is an 1.50 hour tow to the nearest dealer. Thanks.

DarthRam 12-25-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sablefish (Post 1276495)
Brought my code reader with me to work today. P0850 park neutral switch. Any one know if this can be bypassed. Can I put a jumper wire on it. Where on trans is it located. It is an 1.50 hour tow to the nearest dealer. Thanks.

I would really think about doing anything to your truck. You don't want to get in a situation where your dealer calls VOID because of what you did. It sucks but better to have it fixed and have it hauled to the dealer on their dime.

TransEngineer 12-25-2013 01:19 PM

P0850, if I understand correctly, is an engine fault code. You should also check for TCM faults (which you probably can't do with your scan tool). There should be some other (TCM) faults that indicate in more detail exactly what the problem is.

Thunderhorse 12-26-2013 01:02 AM

Interested to hear what you find out.