DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How low can I go (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=163406)

shostopper17 01-12-2014 12:59 PM

How low can I go

So for my 2011 express RCSB 4x4 how low can I go??? and what is the best kit/ air ride

shawnu 01-12-2014 01:11 PM

The lowest kits available are 2/4, belltech and McG, spindles would be best but also widen your front track by 1/2 or so.

To go lower in the back you can cut the spring for 5in and you can double springs and spindles up front for 4in. But going lower in the rear you would have to relocate the control arms, i have a time or 2, bottomed out and the lower touched the upper. Only on big dips goin 60 or so.

A little more into rear lowering than leaf spring trucks... thats why ive been bouncing around the idea of slamming my 98 silverado. Lol. 5/7 is what id like.

shostopper17 01-12-2014 01:25 PM

sounds like a plan once April hits and snows gone then the drop will be on and back with my 22's

CdnoilRAM 01-12-2014 02:19 PM

You will have headaches lowering a 4wd. Mine is down 4/6 using the McG's spindles and GF springs up front and the 2wd rear McG's spring kit with Belltech sports shocks. I'm swapping the rear springs out for the Hellwig air spring kit so I can have more control over the rear height and if I ever need to tow I can. I'm also running the Michigan Metal Works front upper control arms to try and bring my camber closer to spec, but I would recommend a set of adjustables from Mike at L&M. I'm running the rear Spohn adjustable control arms with their adjustable panhard bar as well. You need to completely remove the rear bump stops if you want to go this low, and you'll have about 1.5" clearance from the axle to the frame. "Luckily" you'll hit the frame before you bind the rear control arms.

shawnu 01-12-2014 02:20 PM

Wait, i seen your 4x4...im not sure on the kits for them.. i know i have seen them lowered though!!

Edit: He beat me to it^^ lol

shostopper17 01-12-2014 04:46 PM

Im, thinking my option is going to be the groundforce 2/3 drop

CdnoilRAM 01-12-2014 07:06 PM

If you just want bolt-on then the GF kit is the way to go. If you want to go lower you can cut the springs or start playing mix and match. I would recommend the adjustable panhard bar or the Belltech relocation bracket to recenter the axle whatever way you go.

mikennrg 01-13-2014 05:00 PM

If you go lower than 4'' in the rear you really should get the Spohn adjustable control arms.

mikennrg 01-13-2014 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnu (Post 1293413)
The lowest kits available are 2/4, belltech and McG, spindles would be best but also widen your front track by 1/2 or so.

To go lower in the back you can cut the spring for 5in and you can double springs and spindles up front for 4in. But going lower in the rear you would have to relocate the control arms, i have a time or 2, bottomed out and the lower touched the upper. Only on big dips goin 60 or so.

A little more into rear lowering than leaf spring trucks... thats why ive been bouncing around the idea of slamming my 98 silverado. Lol. 5/7 is what id like.

The spindles widen that much if you don't lower it further like the OP wants to due. Lowering it another two inches will tuck the wheels in further due to front suspension geometry.

CdnoilRAM 01-13-2014 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikennrg (Post 1295086)
The spindles widen that much if you don't lower it further like the OP wants to due. Lowering it another two inches will tuck the wheels in further due to front suspension geometry.

It also kicks your camber out of spec, and they are still wider than the fenders with the 4x4s. Mine are sticking out from under the fender 3/4" with a 4/6 drop.