DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Kills and More Kills (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Hemi Vs 2011 cummins (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=163699)

SlowRed57 01-15-2014 12:12 AM

Hemi Vs 2011 cummins

So I went to the local dyno I was the only gas truck there, everyone had diesels. The Cummins where putting down crazy numbers. my buds 2011 put down 500+hp 900tq. I had wanted to dyno but felt like the special child with everyone watching... but ended up doing it anyway. 288whp 314tq...not what i was looking for but ill take it.

Then the shit talking started. whipped out the phone and started to do some numbers. what they didnt know was my power to weight is almost equal to them. ;) Raced my bud at a 40roll dang thing didnt down shift so we were dead even for a bit then at 60 he pulled 1 1/4 truck on me and i just stopped. 2nd roll was at a 30roll. I knew it would down shift right this time. i pulled him right away about 1 truck till about 115mph where he passed me and kept a good 1 1/4 truck on me till about 140mph.

I will most likely start my build list soon, adding a nice holset turbo to wake the hemi up.

SoCalExpress 01-15-2014 10:05 AM

I read about these diesels with incredible numbers but everytime I've raced one or been behind the wheel of one I just don't see the numbers translate to the road like you would expect. Have any mods done yet or did y dyno stock?

SlowRed57 01-15-2014 11:40 AM

Yeah he said his weighed 8200lbs and it was a 6 speed auto. But their a heavy duty truck too. I almost guarantee a full bolted hemi would have beating it. Its sad the new hemis put down 304whp and 330tq stock. I just have a custom 4inch intake,exhaust cat-back, Superchips.

brandonjansen 01-15-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalExpress (Post 1296512)
I read about these diesels with incredible numbers but everytime I've raced one or been behind the wheel of one I just don't see the numbers translate to the road like you would expect. Have any mods done yet or did y dyno stock?

As the OP said, you gotta remember that a diesel 3500 also weighs about 2000 pounds more than a 1500 hemi.... that's a huge difference. It takes a lot to get that kind of weight moving. But if you were to hook up a couple 8000 pound trailers to those truck and go do some pulls the Cummins would make the hemi look like it's standing still.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowRed57 (Post 1296616)
Yeah he said his weighed 8200lbs and it was a 6 speed auto. But their a heavy duty truck too. I almost guarantee a full bolted hemi would have beating it. Its sad the new hemis put down 304whp and 330tq stock. I just have a custom 4inch intake,exhaust cat-back, Superchips.

8200 pounds sounds a little steep to me unless it's a DRW.... Or if he had a tool box in the bed. Otherwise I'm fairly certain the SRW's are closer to 7800 pounds.

That's weird, with those mods your truck should be putting down more power. But the dyno could be off.... that's one of the main problems with dyno's that the public can run on now. They aren't calibrated properly...

AlmostSleezy 01-15-2014 06:32 PM

Lemme at em lemme at em!

SoCalExpress 01-15-2014 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjansen (Post 1296641)
As the OP said, you gotta remember that a diesel 3500 also weighs about 2000 pounds more than a 1500 hemi.... that's a huge difference. It takes a lot to get that kind of weight moving. But if you were to hook up a couple 8000 pound trailers to those truck and go do some pulls the Cummins would make the hemi look like it's standing still.

That's weird, with those mods your truck should be putting down more power. But the dyno could be off.... that's one of the main problems with dyno's that the public can run on now. They aren't calibrated properly...

Yeah, we are talking about approx 200 HP difference, just thought it might translate a little better to the pavement even with the increased weight. I used to drive for a moving company, my truck was a 379 peterbilt with a c15 cat motor and 13spd, I think around 475 HP and that things wasn't quick in the least but man could it pull. I understand the workings between a diesel and gasoline (at least it makes sense in my head :4-dontknow:) I just find it amazing how the power band/curve or whatever it is referred to can vary so much and affect acceleration that much.

I agree with the mods and getting better numbers out out than you did, I don't know if environmental factors can influence it to that extent.

SlowRed57 01-15-2014 10:20 PM

yeah Idk man, but i raced a 2009 cobalt ss, turbo 54 trim, 368whp..yeah, i got destroyed lol by 5 cars. Could only hang with him until 60mph from a dead stop. unbelievable that 4cyl is making more to the wheels then i am to the crank. sad

jharrram13 03-21-2014 10:40 AM

Its the long stoke of the diesels that give them all the torq. That also keeps them from being able to rap up as fast as a smaller gas engine. Same thing that makes 4 poppers quick. Small and light with not much rotating mass so they can rap the rpms quick.

hydrex 04-06-2014 02:18 PM

When my Ram was stock it only dynoed 248 rwhp on a Mustang Dyno. Even with my mods now it only puts down 293 rwhp. With cut-outs uncapped and using the Mustang dyno's quarter mile sprint feature, it still ran a 14.207 at 91.183 mph. Stock Cummins 5.9 Cummins in my friends QC4X4 2005 Ram dynoed 288 rwhp stock, over 400 with just a tune.