DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   new waterpump, new stat, still overheating (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=164179)

aaronmiiller 01-19-2014 11:12 PM

new waterpump, new stat, still overheating

About 8 months ago my water pump started leaking so i hit and the thermostat replaced. All of a sudden my temperature gauge is acting erratic, so i changed the thermostat. Didn't fix it. I noticed a coolant leak in my driveway and checked my reservoir and sure enough, just below fill line, so i filled it up, of coarse that hasn't fixed it. Anyone got any ideas?

jwsmitty1989 01-20-2014 03:27 AM

Just had that happen to me last week, it ended up being my radiator, I replaced the radiator and got a new cap for it and my reservoir tank and it works like clock work.

aaronmiiller 01-20-2014 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwsmitty1989 (Post 1301548)
Just had that happen to me last week, it ended up being my radiator, I replaced the radiator and got a new cap for it and my reservoir tank and it works like clock work.

Thanks man, that at least gives me somewhere to look.

iveyusmc 01-20-2014 11:31 AM

replace the cap if it's still overheating there might be air in the coolant system. With engine COLD jack up the front of the truck and take the cap off. Start it let it come up to temp. I squeze the upper hose from time to time to make sure there is no air bubbles. I did this after I replaced my waterpump, t-stat, cap and new fluid. Never had a problem since. The only other thing I can think of is the t-stat from what im told the little round piece the rattles that's almost on the outside (sorry I don't know the name) needs to be on top in the 12 oclock position for whatever reason. Let me know if any of this helps and good luck!

aaronmiiller 01-20-2014 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iveyusmc (Post 1301774)
replace the cap if it's still overheating there might be air in the coolant system. With engine COLD jack up the front of the truck and take the cap off. Start it let it come up to temp. I squeze the upper hose from time to time to make sure there is no air bubbles. I did this after I replaced my waterpump, t-stat, cap and new fluid. Never had a problem since. The only other thing I can think of is the t-stat from what im told the little round piece the rattles that's almost on the outside (sorry I don't know the name) needs to be on top in the 12 oclock position for whatever reason. Let me know if any of this helps and good luck!

Thanks, I'll certainly try it. I'm just wondering why i have a coolant leak I'm my driveway tho. Air in the system doesn't explain that.

Maddevill 01-20-2014 05:08 PM

Better hope you don't have a blown/cracked head.....

aaronmiiller 01-20-2014 06:04 PM

Just got a chance to check it out, i didn't even think to check the radiator until just now, the thing was bone dry!!! I filled it up and turned the truck on, it took about a half gallon until it finally stopped taking any. I had to open the cap after i got it hot, tons of air came out. I noticed the upper hose had no fluid in it. Let the truck cool down and it took another half gallon, almost immediately started blowing hot air and the temp is staying between 200-206 now. I'm guessing i had an air lock?

iveyusmc 01-20-2014 08:01 PM

keep it running with the cap off and when the t-stat opens the coolant level will drop. can you trace back where the coolant is leaking from?

Haro 01-26-2014 11:35 PM

If its still leaking you could always pressure test it and find the leak that way instead of guessing, and with the cap off the rad and the engine running check for constant bubbles if thats the case it could be a head gasket or cracked cylinder,

btaylor1184 04-07-2014 01:36 PM

also check the clutch fan! I did the whole water pump/ thermostat dance and still overheating. It was odd sometimes i did and other times it wouldn't. I changed clutch fan and BOOM problem fixed!