DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Paint Job Preference (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=164330)

Giles24 01-21-2014 04:47 PM

Paint Job Preference

I have a 2012 Outdoorsman, which comes in two-tone paint. Not too fond of the white on gray so I'm looking to get it all white. I really want to just get the trim painted white rather than having the entire truck repainted. I've been told it just depends...whatever that means. I was told it was possible but may leave a sharp edge where the new paint would meet the old paint. How distinctive would this line be or would there be a line at all?? Also mentioned that it would be difficult to match the paint. Not sure how difficult seeing as it's rather new and you can find paint codes to match.

Paint the trim or entire truck???

hydrex 01-21-2014 05:44 PM

A good painter should have no trouble matching. Funny, I've always thought about 2 toning my grey Ram with white and a red stripe where they meet. I saw a lifted 2500 Cummins Ram in "Diesel" magazine done that way and it was hot as hell. That Ram had the 2 tone meet at just under the side windows, the red stripe got wider at the rear.

huntergreen 01-21-2014 05:47 PM

should be able to be done so it is a perfect match by a good shop. that being said,i like the white and grey on the outdoorsman.

Giles24 01-21-2014 06:20 PM

My plan is to have it all white with black accents, wheels, and emblems so the gray would not really go well with it lol I honestly didn't see it being much of an issue matching the paint or having a line where the new paint meets when it's done all the time on say a fender or truck bed after a collision...

Lazarus Truck 01-21-2014 10:10 PM

It looks like there is a body-crease where the 2-tone starts. This is a great place to hide a blend between paints. Should be un-noticable. While you're at it, may as well inquire about some 3M rock-guard for the lower portion of the truck. It would be cheaper now, than at another time

Silvercreek 01-22-2014 05:18 AM

I agree with the posts above. I also have a two-tone paint scheme on my 2013 Longhorn that I'm not to fond of. I've already got a quote from a local paint shop to re-paint the bottom Gold color along with the bumpers and fender flares to match the rest of the White.

I asked the same question and he said that after the re-paint, the line would be feathered and would have a coat of clear over it.

Giles24 01-22-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvercreek (Post 1303902)
I agree with the posts above. I also have a two-tone paint scheme on my 2013 Longhorn that I'm not to fond of. I've already got a quote from a local paint shop to re-paint the bottom Gold color along with the bumpers and fender flares to match the rest of the White.

I asked the same question and he said that after the re-paint, the line would be feathered and would have a coat of clear over it.

What were you quoted on this? I will be doing the same

kkreit01 01-22-2014 05:42 PM

I'd leave it. That's what sets it apart from other models. I've had white before. Tar and other contaminants are very visible on white, and the lower portions it where 90% of tar lands.

Silvercreek 01-23-2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giles24 (Post 1304246)
What were you quoted on this? I will be doing the same

The paint shop's quote included removing, disassembling the front and rear bumpers, removing the factory fender flares and prep for painting along with painting the lower portion of the truck for $2200.00 complete with clear-coat.

If I decide to do this, I plan on replacing the painted bumpers with chrome bumpers later.