DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=213)
-   -   4W Auto option (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=164459)

sambo32 01-22-2014 06:00 PM

4W Auto option
 
My truck is a 4X4 but I noticed my truck does not have the four wheel auto, just the 4 wheel lock and 4 wheel low. But some truck have the auto, what is the difference of having it vs. not having it.

xELITE 01-22-2014 07:10 PM

I can't answer your question but I have a '14 Sport 4x4 and I have a 4wd Auto option. I am curious as to the answer.

beeg3 01-22-2014 07:12 PM

I have it in my Bighorn with the 5.7.

ApexCars 01-22-2014 07:20 PM

4 wheel auto engages the front diif. but leaves it in neutral, then if the system detects wheel slip it autmatically engages the front diff. You can drive with it in auto all the time. It will hurt your mileage a little but that's it.

4 wheel lock engages the front diff and it is in gear all the time. You can't drive on dry roads with it because it will bind the diff and can cause damage.

Monster5601 01-22-2014 07:21 PM

Four wheel drive auto automatically engages the four wheel drive system when the computer detects rear wheel slippage. You can turn four wheel auto on without any issues, damage, or binding unlike four wheel lock. Four wheel auto does engage the front axle (but not the transfer case) so an decrease of about 1 MPG may be noticed.

J Roc 01-22-2014 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApexCars (Post 1304646)
4 wheel auto engages the front diif. but leaves it in neutral, then if the system detects wheel slip it autmatically engages the front diff. You can drive with it in auto all the time. It will hurt your mileage a little but that's it.

4 wheel lock engages the front diff and it is in gear all the time. You can't drive on dry roads with it because it will bind the diff and can cause damage.

Are you sure it doesnt engage the front diff and automatically lock and unlock the hubs when traction is needed? I love the 4auto in winter.

sambo32 01-22-2014 08:23 PM

I am not happy about not having the 4WD auto, do you think the dealer will switch this truck for one with the 4WD auto.

walc 01-22-2014 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sambo32 (Post 1304725)
I am not happy about not having the 4WD auto, do you think the dealer will switch this truck for one with the 4WD auto.

Only, if you bought it in Canada where auto 4wd is available.

CORRECTION:

More expensive Rams, than mine, have a selectable 4 AUTO setting.

jeepers94 01-22-2014 08:50 PM

I had it on my 2009,but not on my 2011. I made sure I got it on my 2014. I had to shift into 4 wheel drive so many times pulling away fro a stop sign,because of slick spots.I would go without Sirius/XM long before I would give up 4w auto.

Since when is it ONLY available in Canada? I live in,and bought my truck in the USA.

The Crow 1994 01-22-2014 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sambo32 (Post 1304537)
My truck is a 4X4 but I noticed my truck does not have the four wheel auto, just the 4 wheel lock and 4 wheel low. But some truck have the auto, what is the difference of having it vs. not having it.

That's odd. I thought all 4x4 Big Horns came with 4wd AUTO. My '13 Big Horn 8 speed has 4wd AUTO and it was standard.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger