DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   2000 RPM Vibration (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=164552)

RocketFoot 01-23-2014 03:58 PM

2000 RPM Vibration

I've been researching a slight but annoying vibration that I get at 2000 RPM. It happens in any mode (ECO, Tow/Haul, etc.) and at any speed but always at 2000 RPM. I can feel it in the fuel pedal and the steering wheel. Is does not do it when in park or neutral...only while in motion. I mainly notice it when accelerating but it will vibrate constantly at around 60 MPH when the RPM stays steady at 2000 RPM. At this point, I can take my foot off the pedal and still feel the growl in the steering wheel. Once it shifts and the tach drops below 2000RPM, the vibration is gone.

I really think it is the torque converter but I have been reading a lot about the 5.7 Hemi having fierce torsional vibrations. I mentioned it to my service guy at the dealership and he was quick to blame the MDS system but I can almost bet that has nothing to do with this vibration.

Just wondering if anyone has had or is having a similar vibration at 2000 RPM. Any other ideas on what may cause this? I'm going to take it in soon but I want to be armed with some info first!

Here is a post I found about harmonic/torsional vibrations...

http://www.ramforumz.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=11

I can believe it being a harmonic vibration but wouldn't it do it even in park or neutral?

Exhausted 01-23-2014 11:56 PM

6spd or 8spd?
I have a 6spd and have not felt anything like that

FlyingMonkey 01-24-2014 12:51 AM

I've noticed a slight/inconsistent vibration. I notice it at low RPM and high gear. At times I suspect it's just an exhaust vibration. Other times I'd say it's tire related. Sometimes it improves when I down shift. 75% of the time I don't notice it at all. I have 6000 miles on my 2013. 6 speed w/ 3.92 gears.
I have the Crew + 6.5 box. At one point I wondered if it was a slight imbalance of the long drive shaft.
I have not taken it in yet...waiting to see if other issues pop up. So far this is it.

RocketFoot 01-24-2014 07:20 AM

I have the 8 speed tranny. My vibration is consistent at 2000 RPM...any mode, any speed but always at 2000 RPM.

arctic-rodz 01-24-2014 10:12 AM

No way its the MDS because the MDS doesn't need to be at 2k RPM to work.

RocketFoot 01-24-2014 11:15 AM

I am starting to think it really is a harmonic vibration tuned at 2000 RPM! Is is so consistent and it feels a little different when it is zero degree's out. I guess it could be a TC but I am leaning toward harmonic vibration!

Tom-G 01-25-2014 12:36 AM

I had my Ram in to the dealership several times for the same 2,000 RPM vibration issue. This week they finally contacted Ram tech support. Ram tech support indicated it's a known problem on some 2013 Rams, and a fix has not yet been documented. As the dealership called it in on my VIN, they said Ram will specifically notify them when a fix is available. Note this is for the USA. It's my understanding (from another forum member) that in Canada, some torque converters had been replaced to fix this same 2,000 RPM vibration problem. Dealership told me that Chrysler companies in Canada and US operate independently of each other. So while a fix may be available in one country, it may not be available yet in the other!

On an earlier service visit the service tech test drove a new ram from the lot and noted it vibrated the same way, so they figured "they all do it"! Of course, I was thinking they now have 2 trucks to repair!

Anyway, I'd recommend anyone having this problem should get it in for service and have the dealership contact Ram tech support to have it documented.

RocketFoot 01-25-2014 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom-G (Post 1307477)
I had my Ram in to the dealership several times for the same 2,000 RPM vibration issue. This week they finally contacted Ram tech support. Ram tech support indicated it's a known problem on some 2013 Rams, and a fix has not yet been documented. As the dealership called it in on my VIN, they said Ram will specifically notify them when a fix is available. Note this is for the USA. It's my understanding (from another forum member) that in Canada, some torque converters had been replaced to fix this same 2,000 RPM vibration problem. Dealership told me that Chrysler companies in Canada and US operate independently of each other. So while a fix may be available in one country, it may not be available yet in the other!

On an earlier service visit the service tech test drove a new ram from the lot and noted it vibrated the same way, so they figured "they all do it"! Of course, I was thinking they now have 2 trucks to repair!

Anyway, I'd recommend anyone having this problem should get it in for service and have the dealership contact Ram tech support to have it documented.

Sounds good...thanks for the info! If yours is like mine, it's not a horrible vibration but 2000 RPM is a frequent shift point! It does it all the time and becomes annoying! I can live with it if necessary but I would much rather hear the Hemi purr than feel that vibration! LOL!

Pckrfan 01-28-2014 11:38 PM

I wondered if it is an out of round drive shaft or u joints? I had anOldsmobile once that had a vibration like that and it drove me nuts...... Turned out to be a poorly machined drive shaft... Never heard of that previously or since......but it happened to me.

The Crow 1994 01-29-2014 12:55 AM

I, too, have the vibration/feedback through the gas pedal at the 2000 RPM mark. I'm not feeling anything through the steering wheel at this point. For the most part, I drive my truck like an old lady, :shy: so it becomes more apparent to me when I'm going up a slight incline. I'm going to keep my eye on this thread, to see how this issue (if there is one) progresses. By the way, my truck is a '13 Big Horn 4x4 5.7L HEMI 8 speed transmission with 3.55's.