DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Magnaflow or Flowmaster (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=164824)

Nutshell 01-26-2014 09:25 AM

Magnaflow or Flowmaster

Hey guys! Well, I finally said goodbye to my 2005 4.7 and bought a 2011 HEMI!!! I am so pleased with my purchase and want to start with the mods ASAP. I've been out of the performance game for a while and I see a lot of new vendors with goodies for our trucks. So mufflers??? I was always a Flowmaster guy. Now a have a 10 month old I drive around quite often. I want a nice performance upgrade but remember the FM drone when on the highway and towing. My plan is to only change the muffler and keep the resonators. Is the FM HD an upgrade from the previous FM's? It seems everyone has shifted to Magnaflow, I was looking at a 22. My question, 50 HD or Magnaflow 22? I really only want it to be a touch louder than stock but give me a few MPG's and maybe a little kick in the pants feel. Most important is the little guy can sleep tight on those long Sunday rides.

Thanks guys.

Swaggerville Ram 01-26-2014 09:48 AM

If performance is a concern, flomaster should not even be a consideration.
Magnaflow by a long shot

Nutshell 01-26-2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggerville Ram (Post 1308663)
If performance is a concern, flomaster should not even be a consideration.
Magnaflow by a long shot

Thanks Swag. Has FM fallen that far or where they never that good? It seems like Magnaflow 22 is the way to go.

Swaggerville Ram 01-26-2014 09:59 AM

Flow masters never flowed well, compared to straight through designs.

The sound they make is one of those things, some like em, some don't.

Nutshell 01-26-2014 06:10 PM

With the Magnaflow, is there a performance drop off as you go to the longer (and quieter) muffler?

Gecko 01-26-2014 08:22 PM

The magnaflow, or any straight through design will be your best bet for performance. Doesn't matter how long or short the straight through design is. The shorter the magnaflow the louder it will be. The flowmasters are chambered and thats why they don't flow well.

If you're only doing a muffler swap though, you probably wont see much, if any, improvement in MPG or HP. You'd have to get a CAI and a tune to see the best results from that stuff.

Nutshell 01-26-2014 08:37 PM

My plan is muffler, CAI, throttle body and a tuner. I want a little more punch while staying as close to stock as possible.

That being said, I see a lot of tuners on the market. Which one is best for simple bolt ons like I plan to do? I'm not so much concerned about price but I want to get what will fill my needs.

Thanks.

medros 25 01-26-2014 10:40 PM

I put a K&N CIA, and just installed an 18" magnaflow. Sounds Great. I as well have a 4 month old baby and use my truck as a daily driver. I was originally looking at the 22" magnaflow but the wife said (to my surprise) go with the 18", there no point replacing the muffler and not hearing it.
The 18" isn't as loud as I expected and the in cab noise is minimal but it does sound good.

MAGNAFLOW ALL THE WAY!!!

FlowMasters are nothing but noise makers, IMO

Nutshell 01-27-2014 01:00 PM

Ordering my Magnaflow today!!!!

RyanGSP 01-30-2014 09:59 PM

I had a FM on my 07 hemi and it was obnoxious loud and wasnt suited for the hemi at all.

I would buy a MF for that deep rumble or a Borla for a little more noise.

Cant stand raspy tin can muffler.