DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LEVELING (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=261)
-   -   Leveling kit problems need help (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=164903)

Kumar90r 01-26-2014 11:30 PM

Leveling kit problems need help

Ok I got a question for any of you with the leveling kits I had everything apart, ready to pull the strut itself and I could not get the bolt out that holds the bottom of the syrup on the a arm it would spin a little but would right back in place, I know what the promlem is the bushing is holding it but how do I get it out? I have to spin the strip 180 so the space will fit! What have you guys done? Should I get new bushings and just cut the bitch out or what? (2010 ram 1500 4x4)

Bordin 01-27-2014 09:31 AM

Bolts probably seized in there a touch, soak her up with some penetrating film.
Grab a punch and try to knock it out from the other (nut) side.
Be careful not to F up your threads or mushroom the end of the bolt though.

Mine was like that also, 2011 Ram. It took somer persuading but they do come out.

gonefishin776 01-27-2014 09:47 AM

On my '07 the bolts were seized so bad I had to cut them off and get grade 8 bolts from homedepot to replace them. as well as the bushings

it was a PITA and had my truck out of commission for a week.

good luck

Kumar90r 01-27-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin776 (Post 1309763)
On my '07 the bolts were seized so bad I had to cut them off and get grade 8 bolts from homedepot to replace them. as well as the bushings

it was a PITA and had my truck out of commission for a week.

good luck

How did u find bushings for it I absolutely cannot find bushing for my 2010 it's either buy new struts with bushings or but the whole entire lower control arm and thanks for the respond guys this damn thing drove me to point where I just said screw it put back together n drove home last night!! Just a little never seize woulda been just dandy on dodges end

brandonjansen 01-27-2014 01:24 PM

So what I'm understanding is that you have the nut off the bolt, you just can't get the bolt to slide out correct? Like Bordin said, start with spraying some penetrating oil on it. Then start hitting it with a hammer.... Then when it gets far enough into the bushing where you can't hit it with a hammer anymore, use a punch and hit that through.

gonefishin776 01-27-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumar90r (Post 1310002)
How did u find bushings for it I absolutely cannot find bushing for my 2010 it's either buy new struts with bushings or but the whole entire lower control arm and thanks for the respond guys this damn thing drove me to point where I just said screw it put back together n drove home last night!! Just a little never seize woulda been just dandy on dodges end

it used to be thought that you couldn't get the bushings separately, but you can. my local advanced auto parts had them.

there is a thread with the part number. ill try and find it. i think its the same for 3rd and 4th gen, i'm not sure tho

Parts Run
- Moog or Raybestos part # K200183 about $32 anywhere (This is the replacement bushing for the lower control arm at the strut fork)
- (2) 4" 5/8" bolts (I used grade 8)
- (2) 5/8" nuts (again grade 8)
- (2) 5/8" lock washers (yep, grade 8)

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....ght=strut+bolt

Kumar90r 01-27-2014 01:39 PM

Yes yes yes your the man and to answer the other guys question I blasted the shit out of it with pb blaster and let it soak I whacked the shit out of the bolt and no movement I used a breaker bar and it just moved with the bushing and went back a 3/4 air gun and nothing like the guy I quoted I'm gonna have to just cut it and replace it I'm really disappointed that dodge was to damn dumb or lazy to slap somethin on their to avoid this but thank you very very much for the info

gonefishin776 01-27-2014 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumar90r (Post 1310026)
Yes yes yes your the man and to answer the other guys question I blasted the shit out of it with pb blaster and let it soak I whacked the shit out of the bolt and no movement I used a breaker bar and it just moved with the bushing and went back a 3/4 air gun and nothing like the guy I quoted I'm gonna have to just cut it and replace it I'm really disappointed that dodge was to damn dumb or lazy to slap somethin on their to avoid this but thank you very very much for the info

No problem bud. i know that thread saved my LIFE that day. it was a huge PITA but it got done and the grade 8 nut and bolt is working like a charm. I check on it every now and again to make sure the nut hasn't backed off and it's good to go. with that size bolt, there is no extra thread once the nut is on. so that concerned me but it's gravy.

you'll need to rent a bushing press tool to re install the new ones. it's all in the thread i sent I think. but usually it's just a $50 deposit that you get back when you return the tool. so it's FREE! just like the spring compressor

we somehow I think we managed to get the bolts out, then it was the bushing that was seized in there. so that's what we cut. with a sawzall. be careful not to cut into your control arm.

ive also heard a 50:50 mix of acetone and trans fluid makes a fantastic penetrating oil... better than PB blaster

if you have any questions my email is kyle.ponce.08@gmail.com since I've been through this headache

Captain10 01-27-2014 11:28 PM

Is this a common problem that it happens on pretty much every install or is it hit or miss? This is the first thread Ive seen in my short time that someone has mentioned having issues is in the installation process.

gonefishin776 01-27-2014 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain10 (Post 1310681)
Is this a common problem that it happens on pretty much every install or is it hit or miss? This is the first thread Ive seen in my short time that someone has mentioned having issues is in the installation process.

more common on the older rams that have weathered parts.

you very well might run into this problem with your 07.

it's hit or miss though. i suggest soaking your parts in PB blaster or 50:50 mix acetone and trans fluid the NIGHT BEFORE. to loosen everything up to improve your odds