DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2014 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=247)
-   -   2014 LED 3rd Brake Light? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=165008)

Blackhawk13 01-27-2014 10:50 PM

2014 LED 3rd Brake Light?
 
Can you 2014 owners or those that know, tell me if the 2014 Longhorns come with LED 3rd Brake Lights? I know the headlights have LEDs and the tails are LEDs but what about the 3rd brake light?

Explorer Rob 01-27-2014 11:02 PM

Nope, just a light bulb.

RandyW 01-28-2014 08:41 AM

I swapped out my normal bulbs for LEDs. It's really simple if that's what you're wanting to do.

Jayincali 01-28-2014 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyW (Post 1310975)
I swapped out my normal bulbs for LEDs. It's really simple if that's what you're wanting to do.

Any pics of your LED 3rd brake light? Kinda sucks Dodge used LED's for the tails, but forgot about the 3rd. What lights did you use?

RandyW 01-28-2014 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayincali (Post 1311359)
Any pics of your LED 3rd brake light? Kinda sucks Dodge used LED's for the tails, but forgot about the 3rd. What lights did you use?

I used bulbs out of my previous truck. LED bulbs from V-LEDS.com. However, they make me have the notification that my third brake light is out on my EVIC, because they do not have a built-in resistor (have to ad them myself).

http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbe...79-1-pair.html

http://www.vleds.com/media/catalog/p...21_15_w2_2.jpg

RisingEagle 01-28-2014 05:30 PM

over on the cummins forums I came across a thread with all the bulb numbers, and a couple links in the threads pointing to the LED replacements. Some guys replace every bulb they have (interior included) with LEDs and really like them.

anyway, the link is
www cumminsforum com/forum/4th-gen-non-powertrain/716025-4th-gen-bulb-number-list.html

edit: cant throw the link up - but its over on cumminsforum and follow the above

RandyW 01-28-2014 06:10 PM

You can also go to v-leds dot com and click on figment guide in the bottom right corner. It will take you to Sylvania's website where you can select your vehicle and it will show you the bulb types. If 2014 isn't on there, just select 2013. There are tons of bulbs available for each type. Superbrightleds dot com is another popular site to purchase from. They have cheaper options.

Blackhawk13 01-28-2014 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyW (Post 1311496)
You can also go to v-leds dot com and click on figment guide in the bottom right corner. It will take you to Sylvania's website where you can select your vehicle and it will show you the bulb types. If 2014 isn't on there, just select 2013. There are tons of bulbs available for each type. Superbrightleds dot com is another popular site to purchase from. They have cheaper options.

Is it easy to change the bulbs to LEDs yourself or is something like this gonna look better?

http://www.gorecon.com/product.php?p...03500&p_cat=33

RandyW 01-28-2014 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawk13 (Post 1311514)
Is it easy to change the bulbs to LEDs yourself or is something like this gonna look better?

http://www.gorecon.com/product.php?p...03500&p_cat=33

I've always preferred to change the bulbs out myself. You always run the risk of running into fitment issues with aftermarket housings. Its super easy.... Pull old build out, pop in new one, nothing to it honestly. By the way, the light in that link is $99, you can do it for $20. I bought more expensive LEDs, but I'm loyal to the company I buy from, they make great stuff and have excellent warranties and customer service.

Your going to want to pick out your bulb color carefully. Do a Google search on the Kelvin Scale and it will show you what color each temperature produces. (5000k, 6000k, etc.) I went with all 6K bulbs on my Blue Tundra. This gave the lights that slightly blue tint. 5,000K (what I have niw) is going to be a very bright White color. I like all of mine to match, so be careful when ordering.

When I get on my computer, I'll upload some photos.

Jayincali 01-28-2014 08:14 PM

But you will still need to add a resistor to the lights so a code won't be thrown? I'm not sure how to do that LOL. Not very electrical oriented.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger