DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Washing & Waxing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Is it worth investing in a DA buffer and/or specialty liquids? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=165466)

starquestbd22 02-01-2014 04:15 PM

Is it worth investing in a DA buffer and/or specialty liquids?

Hi all. I have always considered myself a clean freak when it comes to my vehicles and all my friends know me as the guy that keeps his truck spotless. Even so, I'm stuck in the era of doing everything by hand. I wash regularly with quality soap, clay when needed (usually once a year), and apply Nu-finish Polish and then Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax twice a year. The paint on my truck is in excellent condition for the year with no major correction needed plus it's silver so it doesn't show imperfections too bad anyway. Here are my questions.

Is there any real benefit (other than time and ease of use) in investing in a beginner buffer/polisher? Am I going to be able to tell a difference when I get done versus doing it by hand?

Would there be any benefit to adding a step with some quality compound prior to polishing and waxing?

I am a big fan of Meguiar's and I like being able to buy locally so I would probably go with the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. I am thinking about replacing the Nu-finish with Meguiar's Ultimate Polish next time around also. Are there any specialty polishes or waxes out there that are going to make a noticeable difference in appearance over what I am using now?

Thanks in advance!

spoiler 02-01-2014 04:35 PM

You won't see a difference. If your paint is nice and you keep up with it it will not look any better than it does now.
If you had black paint or something really dark or if you had older paint in need of a refresh I might amend that last statement. But you have nice paint.
It will be easier- A lot easier and faster and that has advantages too.

primo spaghetti 02-08-2014 08:39 AM

without a doubt, you will see a high difference in finish with a machine polisher. in order to really amp up the gloss, you will need the heat and speed created by the machine to really have that pop.

even minor swirls and imperfections will reduce the shine and gloss. I have many post in the detailing section and how to's and guides for detailing. check them out and if you have any questions, let me know.

Jayincali 02-19-2014 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoiler (Post 1315776)
You will see a huge difference.

It will be easier- A lot easier and faster and that has advantages too.

Fixed it for ya :LOL:

Quote:

Originally Posted by primo spaghetti (Post 1322821)
without a doubt, you will see a high difference in finish with a machine polisher. in order to really amp up the gloss, you will need the heat and speed created by the machine to really have that pop.

even minor swirls and imperfections will reduce the shine and gloss. I have many post in the detailing section and how to's and guides for detailing. check them out and if you have any questions, let me know.

What Primo said. I had near perfect paint (:SHOCKED: yea I was shocked too)when I took delivery of my truck. After running the DA polisher over it with finish polish, sealer and wax, the paint now has way more depth and gloss than it did before hand.

As stated above the heat and speed from the polisher will kick the depth and gloss of the finish way up. It also helps level out a bit of the orange peel the factory gives us.

Now once you have had your truck for a few years, you will get the micro swirls / marring from the day to day grind. Since you have a DA polisher you will now be able to remove the marring and have brand new paint again. Plus it won't kick your butt when it's time to detail the rig.

starquestbd22 02-19-2014 06:41 PM

Thanks for the replies. Can you guys recommend a good, entry level polisher?

Jstin 02-19-2014 09:45 PM

And I see you're 31, gettin up there. Lol. Better get a polisher..

primo spaghetti 02-20-2014 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starquestbd22 (Post 1335335)
Thanks for the replies. Can you guys recommend a good, entry level polisher?

a good entry level polisher is the griots garage machine. very reasonable price tag, and has a lifetime warranty. use 5.5 inch pads on it.

chuck2417 04-09-2014 12:59 PM

I would also suggest the Griots Garage. Another one is the Porter Cable. Bang for your buck the Griots has the most power and they are pretty durable. The Porter Cables are one of the most popular for their ease of use and cheap price tag. There is also the G110 from meguiars, but that ones is pretty pricey compared to the other 2 and not as good in my opinion. 5.5 or 6.5 inch pads. I wouldn't go any bigger than 6.5 inch pads. You'll want to pick up a 5 inch DA backing plate as the Griots comes with a 6 inch backing plate already. Hook and Loop (you'll see it a lot) = velcro lol.

rcmpvet 04-09-2014 04:22 PM

Seeing that you are in the U.S.A. and stated you would like something entry level you might try Harbor Freight. Right now until the end of April they have their D/A polisher on sale for $64.00, I was able to purchase at $54.00 but that ended on April 7 with a coupon.

Here is link to the flyer, it is on page 10/11.
http://www.harborfreight.com/retailf...me&utm_source=

Here is link to You Tube video reviews, there are two parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNT3muQLfy0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FtOOJMKtZY

If you really want to save and you have a random orbital palm sander with hook and loop then you can use that, but the D/A is a little more aggressive.

rcmpvet 04-09-2014 04:26 PM

Forgot to mention, get a good quality backing plate, 5" and good quality pads. Do not use their stock pads.