DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=213)
-   -   Wow 4+4 lock is not lock ! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=165793)

bartlett 02-04-2014 02:38 PM

Wow 4+4 lock is not lock !

I towed a ram this am and he was just missing a pole so I had him goto 4wd low lock and I would tow him slightly forward and have him give it gas to miss the pole being I could not tow him forward from where he was. So I hooked up and he went to 4wd low lock. I looked back and the rear tires were spinning ! I just told him again to goto low lock. He said it is ! So I looked, it said it was. He gave it alittle gas and the front started spinning. IMO the truck should be locked together and spin one front and one rear unless lsd. Im shocked that this case will not go into lock. Are they all like this ? Mine seems to lock but mine has the older case.

interesting ....:4-dontknow:

Swaggerville Ram 02-04-2014 09:37 PM

Without being intimate with the situation my guess is with the electronic selector sometimes takes a few seconds to go between selections. Probably didn't wait long enough. They are not Torsen or viscous coupled

TJC.geotech 02-05-2014 05:13 AM

With the electronic transfer cases, if you apply too much power during the shift, the computer will refuse the shift. That's why it finally went in when he lifted on the throttle. Also, if the truck is stationary and there is to much pressure on the driveline the gears will not be able to mesh, and again the computer will refuse the shift. Your buddy needs to read his manual.

bartlett 02-05-2014 09:11 AM

um no ! you might wanna go look at your truck ...if your transfercase has the auto 4wd option you do NOT have 4wd lock ! you only have AWD ...

if you put your truck in 4wd lock it will not be locked into 4wd ! the front will not be locked.

To test this go out and find a parking lot with ice in it and put the front wheels upto the curb ,goto 4wd low lock (wait for the 4wd lock light to come on) let off the brake and the rear tires will spin (if on ice) and the fronts will not ! if you jump on the gas the front will engage. thats AWD not 4wd lock ...:LOL:

youve been had ! .....

DonT 02-05-2014 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bartlett (Post 1319646)
um no ! you might wanna go look at your truck ...if your transfercase has the auto 4wd option you do NOT have 4wd lock ! you only have AWD ...

if you put your truck in 4wd lock it will not be locked into 4wd ! the front will not be locked.

To test this go out and find a parking lot with ice in it and put the front wheels upto the curb ,goto 4wd low lock (wait for the 4wd lock light to come on) let off the brake and the rear tires will spin (if on ice) and the fronts will not ! if you jump on the gas the front will engage. thats AWD not 4wd lock ...:LOL:

youve been had ! .....

That is not the way mine works. If I put it in 4W Lock and wait for the confirmation on the instrument panel I have 4 lock just like all the other 4x4 vehicles I have ever had. If I put it in 4W Auto it work as you describe. I think in the OP the other driver did not allow the transfer case to actually get into 4 lock as TCJ suggested.

bartlett 02-05-2014 09:31 AM

before you say yours dont do that go out and test it ..... the only time the case will engage 4wd is when the gas is pressed ..thats awd not 4wd lock ..

Note this is not the standard 4wd case. that case will do 4wd lock.

bartlett 02-05-2014 09:38 AM

while searching for info on this , I found this !
Ha Im not the only one who understands this problem ....

ww w .ram forum .com /f38/4x4_problem_ram_2013_8-speed-40753/ ((((****put the link back together****)))

battlerattle 02-05-2014 10:51 AM

Manual engagement FTW, love my PW, never have that issue!

Canadian Hemi Pride 02-05-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by battlerattle (Post 1319733)
Manual engagement FTW, love my PW, never have that issue!

Manual engagement is so much better, my 98 cummins work rig has it. I do not like relying on a dial for 4x4 and waiting for the damn thing to lock in a light up, 4x4 low takes forever -.-
My truck locks because I don't have all these fancy auto 4x4 feat like the higher end Rams and GM trucks do. Just 4x4 lock and 4x4 low.

bartlett 02-05-2014 12:50 PM

wonder if one could order the parts to convert it back to manual and or make/design a kit to do it. to me it would not be to hard. I wish mine was a manual. My other f150 has failed twice when plowing and need me to remove the engagement motor and turn out 4wd low by hand ! sucks when its freeking cold out !