DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=213)
-   -   First real Offroad adventure in my new truck (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=166126)

ksgries 02-07-2014 06:07 PM

First real Offroad adventure in my new truck
 
So I finally decided to take my baby down a real offroading trail. My 2 friends and I went alone in my truck. Needless to say that wasn't a good idea.

We went down this trail about a mile and came to a point where it branched out to 3 trails and then an open field. Keep in mind everything is frozen and there is a few inches of snow on everything also.

I stopped and looked at all three trails and chose the middle one, it looked the least challenging. Turns out I was wrong...

I start going and all of a sudden my truck drops about a foot! So I try to plow threw it. That didn't work I didn't move anywhere. I throw it in reverse, no luck, forward, no movement.

Go out...looked at my truck...realized im ****ed, I was completely bottomed out just spinning in the water.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/...207_161404.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/...207_160412.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/...207_160405.jpg


http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/...207_160616.jpg

The ice was broken where my tires are but was still a few inches thick under the middle of my truck.

After a few more attempts to rock it out and completely failing my truck started freaking out. Brakes wouldn't work lights were going off...bunch of issues.

So I called a friend with a sick older v10 ram. He came 30 minutes later looked and me and said I got lucky I bottomed out instead of going further.
He said that it gets even deeper..about 3 feet deep.

Thank god I didn't get any further. So he breaks out the tow strap starts trying to pull me out backwards..we didn't move. He had to start backing up and flooring it to yank my truck out. After the third time I was still stuck and he got stuck.

He aired down and gave it one last try. As he floored it, I floored it in reverse.

Finally I got out! I was freaking out though because my axle was just dragging in the ice. I thought something was going to break and I don't even have 2k miles on my truck hahah.

But anyway I don't think anything broke. Moral of the story...don't offroad alone

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/...207_155620.jpg

Canadian Hemi Pride 02-07-2014 07:49 PM

Yep, one time and you learn your lesson lol. Never hit a trail alone unless you know the trail very well and have done it several times with your vehicle before without getting bogged out.

Glad to hear you made er out fine though, and had a bud with a bigger truck to pull ya out. Always handy to have a nice tow strap. good pull points and someone with a bigger rig to get you out. I am looking at getting a nice shackle receiver tomorrow for my rig, and make some custom tow hooks for my front end.

macc08 02-07-2014 08:49 PM

glad you got out!

always make good pics though, lol

Thunderhorse 02-07-2014 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian Hemi Pride (Post 1322446)
I am looking at getting a nice shackle receiver tomorrow for my rig, and make some custom tow hooks for my front end.

I got a Curt receiver shackle last month for mine . Which one are you looking at?

Canadian Hemi Pride 02-07-2014 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderhorse (Post 1322627)
I got a Curt receiver shackle last month for mine . Which one are you looking at?

I don't know what brand it is, but it is the same one my friend has for his bronco and apparently it is on sale at a store in my city. These things are hard to find lol. How thick is your shackle?

Thunderhorse 02-07-2014 11:49 PM

I got it off Amazon, it was a little more expensive but I figured it was worth it since it is machined from a solid piece in the USA, instead of the square tube steel that a lot of the shackle mounts use. The actual shackle on it is a 3/4" dia forged Columbus McKinnon with a WLL of 6.5 tons. Its heavy as hell.

http://www.amazon.com/CURT-Manufactu...pd_sbs_auto_10

Canadian Hemi Pride 02-08-2014 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderhorse (Post 1322667)
I got it off Amazon, it was a little more expensive but I figured it was worth it since it is machined from a solid piece in the USA, instead of the square tube steel that a lot of the shackle mounts use. The actual shackle on it is a 3/4" dia forged Columbus McKinnon with a WLL of 6.5 tons. Its heavy as hell.

http://www.amazon.com/CURT-Manufactu...pd_sbs_auto_10

Damn that is a nice one for sure. I am not 100% sure but I think the one I will be looking at tomorrow is this ONE. I'll have to get a good look at it and if it looks like junk, I am not gonna get it. Never got a solid look at my buds but he pulled my buds dakota out of the ditch the other week and it didn't break.. But I plan to put it to a much bigger test then that.

macc08 02-08-2014 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian Hemi Pride (Post 1322681)
Damn that is a nice one for sure. I am not 100% sure but I think the one I will be looking at tomorrow is this ONE. I'll have to get a good look at it and if it looks like junk, I am not gonna get it. Never got a solid look at my buds but he pulled my buds dakota out of the ditch the other week and it didn't break.. But I plan to put it to a much bigger test then that.


ah princess auto... aka candyland!

ive been meaning to get a hitch just to put in my reciever... *stupid question alert* what size hitch/ball should I get?

:LOL:

ksgries 02-08-2014 01:47 AM

I just ordered a bunch of stuff to help prevent something like this from happening again

10,500# synthetic rope winch
2" Hitch winch plate
2 6.5ton shackles
1 3"x8' 26500 tow/tree saver strap
1 2'x20' tow strap
1 2" shackle receiver
1 Snatch block

hopefully all that will help

DonT 02-08-2014 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksgries (Post 1322722)
I just ordered a bunch of stuff to help prevent something like this from happening again

10,500# synthetic rope winch
2" Hitch winch plate
2 6.5ton shackles
1 3"x8' 26500 tow/tree saver strap
1 2'x20' tow strap
1 2" shackle receiver
1 Snatch block

hopefully all that will help

Glad to see you are having fun and learning lessons you won't forget any time soon. At least no one was hurt and no real damage done.

Are you getting a front mount receiver for the winch? Don't forget power cables to go with it, I don't see them in the list. With the removable winch plate you need a way to disconnect the power cables. If you are going to mount the winch in the rear receiver you will need to run long power cables. Make sure the size the cables for load, don't forget to consider the length too. If you run power cables all the way to the rear, they may need to be larger than the manufacturer's recommendations.

Get a couple of sleeves to slide over the synthetic rope if they do not come with the winch. You will need them to protect the winch rope.

What is the rating on the 2" tow strap? it may not be enough for your truck or another truck you may need to help some day.

Have fun and be safe.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger