DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   2008 quadcab stereo upgrade help (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=169018)

cableman 03-02-2014 10:31 AM

2008 quadcab stereo upgrade help

Ok so i ditched the nav hu and installed a kenwood ddx470. Sounds better but it needs more! I have soundstream tarantulas in the doors as of now and all is running off stock infinity amp which may have a blown rear channel cause one speaker isnt working back there!
Should i run the dash and rear doors off the kenwood hu and get a 3channel amp to run the front doors and a sub? Or get a 5 channel amp run all doors and a sub off of it? Do i even need dash speakers if running all doors off new amp?
I just want some better sq and a little base! Didnt really wanna run new wires through the doors but if i must i will.
Thanks for any help!

huff73541 03-02-2014 06:18 PM

I could be wrong but the way I understand it is the factory amp is crossovered to drive the stock system...the 6x9 front doors act as the "subs" with the rear doors and dash as the "mids and highs"...so when you try to run off the stock amp with aftermarket speakers they are not receiving the proper frequencies to complete the system...

I ditched the stock infinity system completely in my 07 ram and installed a Kenwood DVD with a JL Audio HD 900/5 amp and pulled all new wire with component speakers front and rear...

The front mids are in the stock door locations and the tweeters in the dash..

The rears are coaxial componentes....(tweeter mounted to speaker) in the stock door locations...

Each speaker is getting 100 watts (100x4=400) and the JL Audio 10w3 sub is run off the sub channel at 500x1...

The HD 900/5 from JL is absolutely amazing and the truck has incredible sound quality...

I left all the stock wiring etc...in the truck for a plug n play application back to stock if I ever want/need to...

I say bypass the amp completely and you will be very happy....

huff73541 03-02-2014 06:25 PM

I would get a nice set of component speakers and mount the tweeter around the A pillar or in the dash to bring the soundstage up to listening level and there will be no need for any more speakers in the front...

you can setup the system several different ways...

you can run all speakers off the head unit and an amp for just a sub...

3-channel amp to drive the front components and a sub- rear speakers off the head unit...

5 ch amp to run everything...

amp the speakers is night and day from just the headunit...a good amp like JL or RF will deliver good clean power to the speakers...

cableman 03-03-2014 05:34 AM

Ok thanks. Ill have to figure out if i need the rears amped or just run them off the deck. Is it alright to have a tweeter up in the dash that far away from the mid? My soundstream 6x9,s have remote xovers so maybe i can add a second tweeter up in the dash or ill just see how it sounds where they are! The tweeters do swivel.
I was looking at the jl xd500/3 or a soundstream nano 5channel amp. I do have a RF power 500bd amp but i just dont wanna run 2 amps and more power cable!

huff73541 03-03-2014 01:24 PM

I understand not wanting to run two amps... its kinda a PITA in my opinion thats why I went for the 900/5...

I originally installed the tweeters next to the components in the doors and it just sounded like something was missing...moving them up to the pillar/dash area (in my case in the dash)... made a huge difference...

It wouldnt hurt to run another set of tweeters but I would put the mids in the doors and use some 3m double sided tape and move the tweeters around trying different places and see what sounds best to you...

Another reason I used the dash was to keep the system looking completely stock but that all changes when you crank it up...the louder it is the cleaner it sounds...I couldnt be happier...

cableman 03-03-2014 05:16 PM

Do you feel amping the rears are the way to go also? Or the deck will give it enough fill? Would you stay away from the soundstream nano 5 channel amp? Thanks again.

huff73541 03-03-2014 05:40 PM

The rear is basically fill... you dont want the rears over powering the front so you have to adjust accordingly...so its not necessary to amp them...

Its basically personal preference and budget....I wanted to run everything thru the amp and let the amp do the filtering rather than the deck...

If you decide to run the rears off the H/U just remember to filter them at around 80-100Hz to keep out the lows and let the sub do its job....set the front and sub to "through" and filter them thru the amp....

Dont know much about those amps so I cant really comment on them but in my opinion you cant beat JL or RF....but like I said it all depends on preference and budget as the amp I have was close to a grand....

The HD amps from JL draw much less power and still push the RMS wattage with their "R.I.P.S" system and they are small for the power they push....here is mine...

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...21_1059181.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...20_1513271.jpg

cableman 03-03-2014 07:10 PM

Sharp truck bro! That looks great!
Its prolly easier for me to run wires to an amp for the rears then all the way back up to the HU! Maybe ill do the xd700, the hd is just too much for me to justify! Sucks i cant just add a sub, this infinity system is crap! Would it sound any better bypassing infinity amp, running fronts and rears off deck and just using my rockford for the sub? Prolly not cause the hu is 22x4 rms.

huff73541 03-04-2014 08:40 AM

Thanks!

Whether you run the wires to an amp or up to the dash you still have to pull thru the doors and it can be a pain....running new speakers off the H/U will still sound better than what you have now...

but i would bypass the factory amp...

cableman 03-04-2014 08:51 AM

Ok cool. I think for now ill run some new wires to the doors and run them off the deck and use my mono rockford amp for a sub. Later ill get the jl audio 500/3 and amp the fronts! Should work out much better then this tin sounding infinity setup!