DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Help, 5.9 Magnum for an 84 Dodge? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=172263)

Dodge84 03-31-2014 08:58 PM

Help, 5.9 Magnum for an 84 Dodge?

So I have a 1984 dodge power ram W250. It has an LA 318 5.2l v8 in it

I want to get a 360 Magnum 5.9l and put it in to replace the 318, but I have a lot of questions..

First off is, would I need a 360 magnum and tranny for my 84 dodge? or could I use the tranny I have now?

The conversion is going from an LA318 to a 360 Magnum, it would be easier to leave the tranny in, I know I have to make a few modifications with the balancer going to a 360, but it's going from an LA series to a Magnum series so I didn't know

If not, would a transmission for a 360 magnum even fit right? I don't know a lot about transmissions

So the short question is, will a 360 Magnum bolt up to the transmission of an LA 318? and is that a good idea?
And if not, is a 360 magnum and tranny going to fit right in my 84 dodge W250

HemiLonestar 03-31-2014 10:01 PM

I would get an early model A518, OD and strong.

Gen1dak 03-31-2014 10:48 PM

Yes, it'll bolt up, but a fresh, more powerful engine and an old, tired transmission do not a happy mix make. Also, how you proceed depends on the setup. Are you going to put a carb on the Magnum, or are you planning on using transplanting the Magnum's fuel injection as well?

Dodge84 03-31-2014 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gen1dak (Post 1376234)
Yes, it'll bolt up, but a fresh, more powerful engine and an old, tired transmission do not a happy mix make. Also, how you proceed depends on the setup. Are you going to put a carb on the Magnum, or are you planning on using transplanting the Magnum's fuel injection as well?

Well if the 360 magnum bolted to the tranny I was going to have my current transmission rebuilt. I mean I'm not going to be using this for hardcore use but I still don't think the tranny I have now would be well suited for a 360 magnum, would any magnum tranny fit in place of the one I have for my 318?
It's a 4wd and would have to fit into the transfer case, and I'm not sure what tranny I have in now

As for the carb vs fuel injected, I'm honestly not sure, what would be easier to do in your opinion? I heard for the carb you have to get a new manifold or have it drilled, I can buy a new manifold

Thanks on the speedy response!

Dodge84 03-31-2014 11:23 PM

I heard a 727 is a great transmission, I don't think it would fit though, would the A518 fit into an 84 dodge W250? Also, what transmission was standard with the 84 W250 with the 318? I don't even know what I have in mine, I hardly know anything about transmissions. I know it doesn't have OD and I believe it's 3 speed

Dodge84 03-31-2014 11:32 PM

Well I just read the A518 is basically the same as the 727 except it has overdrive, and I definitely want overdrive. But will an A518 swapped with my current one fit with no problem? I've rebuilt and worked on engines before but I never messed with transmissions unfortunately which is why I'm a bit anxious about removing the tranny and replacing it

Gen1dak 04-01-2014 03:04 AM

Going carb is definitely easier. You can use all your existing hardware for fuel supply. Magnum will require upgrading the fuel system and grafting the computer system in. Get a carb intake for Magnum and you don't even need to fool with any drilling. Both Mopar Performance and Edelbrock offer carb intakes for Magnum blocks. You can use the ignition setup in your '84. The distributor drops right in. Your stock exhaust will bolt up, but I'd look for a replacement at some point as those stockers are pretty restrictive. There are some minor fitment issues when adapting an OD to a pre-OD setup. Many have done it, but I haven't, so cannot speak from experience there. Your truck is essentially the same as the trucks that were the first to get the OD in the late 80's, so it's not difficult. The 5.9 Magnum uses different amount of balance weight (slightly less) than 5.9LA, so be sure you use a torque converter with balance weight for 5.9 Magnum. The 518 uses the non-lockup converter. In the early 90's it was redesignated 46RH, and at that time it started using the lockup converter. You should have a 727 now.

Dodge84 04-02-2014 12:49 AM

I heard the magnum heads are very prone to cracking, so I was going to get new heads, or at least get the ones refurbished, and then like you said I'll have to get a new carb manifold. Now you said there is some issues with it fitting to a non OD tranny. I doubt I'll get the 518, I read it's longer and you'll need a new drive shaft and I really don't want to mess with that. So will a 5.9 magnum bolt up to an old 727 tranny? I know I'll need to get a torque converter with balance weight, but I heard that isn't too big a deal

Gen1dak 04-02-2014 10:32 PM

The fitment issue isn't engine to transmission, it' OD trans to transfer case where the truck originally had a 3 speed. And again, it's not something that can't be dealt with. I'm just not sure on the specifics, but others here are. The Magnum blocks are used a replacement blocks in LA-equipped vehicles. Transmission bellhousing and starter bolt patterns are the same. Even the old-style LA engine mount points are present.

Dodge84 04-02-2014 11:00 PM

Ah okay now I see what you're saying, yeah I'll probably just keep my trans that way I know 100% that it's going to work, trying to fit an OD onto my transfer case I know will be a lot more work than what I'm really wanting to do just to save on some gas milage