DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2014 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=247)
-   -   What is best security method (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=173418)

Woodroe 04-12-2014 12:08 PM

What is best security method

My previous security method was to buy cars with manual transmissions, seems criminals don't know how to work a clutch. :hah:
Is there a consensus on what the best deterrent is to having a truck ripped off? Alarms? The Club? I suppose with the new styles of electronic keys my main problem might be a carjack but that's a different scenario.

tev9999 04-12-2014 12:33 PM

Make sure the insurance is paid, don't leave valuables in plain sight, lock it, and don't worry about it. Life is too short to live in constant fear of your stuff being stolen, and I prefer to enjoy my money rather than tie it up in gadgets that are easily defeated if someone really wants my truck.

Dr Honda 04-12-2014 12:35 PM

The new digital keys keep most criminals away. (they would have to tow it)

Funny you say that criminals can't use a clutch. Back in the day... I had an 86 Toyota pickup. One night, I came out to it at a budy's apartment... and I was stepping on a bunch of plastic. (couldn't see, it was dark) Then, I tried to put the key in it... and I realized that the lock was punched, and all the steering column plastic was broken a way. AND... the windshield wipers were up.

SO... they got the lock out, and turned the physical switch... but I'm betting it didn't start because they didn't know that the clutch had to be pushed. (LOL) Stupid criminals.

Woodroe 04-12-2014 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tev9999 (Post 1386800)
Make sure the insurance is paid, don't leave valuables in plain sight, lock it, and don't worry about it. Life is too short to live in constant fear of your stuff being stolen, and I prefer to enjoy my money rather than tie it up in gadgets that are easily defeated if someone really wants my truck.

Thanks Tev, that is good advice although loosing your ride when out of town is a bit of pain. (Had my rental stolen on a business trip years back).

Thunderhorse 04-12-2014 02:26 PM

From what I have read, the models with remote start are easier to steal than the trucks with turn keys. Also, if you don't want to give up your previous method, you could step up to an HD Ram and get a manual on the Cummins. They are the only trucks on the market with a manual transmission available.

RedDodge 04-12-2014 02:48 PM

A python would be a certain deterrent .... Lol. But seriously I think the best thing to do is keep valuables out of site. The biggest problem by me is these petty thives breaking windows to steal a GPS and all your change.

Catdaddy too 04-12-2014 04:21 PM

My truck didn't have a remote starter, I purchased a Viper remote starter/alarm. I've had good luck with Viper alarms, the blue LED can be seen from 50 ft. away and I always have the installer tie the alarm into the factory horn instead of a siren. Good luck keeping it safe.

pinebeatle 04-12-2014 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tev9999 (Post 1386800)

Yup- what he said :smileup:

MountnBear 04-12-2014 06:38 PM

A clutch isn't so difficult to figure out... I never really drove a standard, but one day at work my truck was in the shop and one of my coworkers let me borrow his truck for a quick office delivery. Didn't know it was a standard until I sat in the drivers seat... about 5 minutes later I figured out that I had to press the clutch for the truck to start, and driving down the street I got it all the way in 2nd gear!!! Once I got back I told my coworker that the truck worked fine, and that was my first time driving a standard... only stalled it once! lol!

Dreyton 04-12-2014 11:53 PM

my fake blue flashing led light and my club are my only deterent , hopefully they see them and take another truck