DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Forum Polls! (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What brand of motor oil do you use (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=2610)

Zonestar 08-02-2008 12:43 PM

What brand of motor oil do you use

It seems like a favorite question among members is what is the best motor oil to use. Of course we all have our favorites from what was used by generations before us and we do not break tradition, misinformation from some auto mechanics that have been using it for over 40 years, and also the television commercial said it was good. So lets vote on your brand that you like and feel free to elaborate why.

cowboytruckn 08-02-2008 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zonestar (Post 2675)
It seems like a favorite question among members is what is the best motor oil to use. Of course we all have our favorites from what was used by generations before us and we do not break tradition, misinformation from some auto mechanics that have been using it for over 40 years, and also the television commercial said it was good. So lets vote on your brand that you like and feel free to elaborate why.

It is one of my favorite threads and it brings good discussion. I myself take it to the dealer to have any work done. I trust my dealership and believe what comes in it from the factory is best. Why change? :4-dontknow:

HemiHeath82 08-04-2008 12:35 AM

I do my own maintenance, using only Mobil 1 10-30 synthetic.I dont trust the dealers.

cowboytruckn 08-05-2008 10:44 AM

Hey Zonestar do you have that breakdown of the different grades of oil?

JarZ 08-05-2008 11:29 AM

I just put in Mobil 1 5w20 synthetic in my 5.7L Dodge Magnum. There are a lot of opinions on this subject as you said - many swear by a product while others think that same product is garbage. I have a friend who has a Dodge Ram 5.7L and he also uses Mobil 1 but there are a lot of good oils out there.

Zonestar 08-06-2008 05:26 AM

Explanation of motor oil base stocks

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboytruckn (Post 7578)
Hey Zonestar do you have that breakdown of the different grades of oil?

Lubricant base stocks are categorized into five groups by the API.

Group I base stocks are composed of fractionally distilled petroleum which is further refined with solvent extraction processes to improve certain properties such as oxidation resistance and to remove wax.

Group II base stocks are composed of fractionally distilled petroleum that has been hydrocracked to further refine and purify it.

Group III base stocks have similar characteristics to Group II base stocks, except that Group III base stocks have higher viscosity indexes. Group III base stocks are produced by further hydrocracking of Group II base stocks, or of hydroisomerized slack wax, (a byproduct of the dewaxing process).

Group IV base stock are polyalphaolefins (PAOs). A synthetic.

Group V is a catch all group for any other synthetic and mineral base stocks. Examples of group V base stocks include polyol esters, polyalkylene glycols (PAG oils), and perfluoropolyalkylethers (PFPAEs).

Groups I, II, and III are sometimes referred to as mineral oils and groups IV and V as synthetic oils. However, most manufacturers have labeled their group III based oils as synthetic in the US for reasons of economy and marketing.

electricblue 08-06-2008 09:13 AM

I take them to the dealer as well. so its what evercrap the put in.

cowboytruckn 08-06-2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zonestar (Post 9502)
Lubricant base stocks are categorized into five groups by the API.

Group I base stocks are composed of fractionally distilled petroleum which is further refined with solvent extraction processes to improve certain properties such as oxidation resistance and to remove wax.

Group II base stocks are composed of fractionally distilled petroleum that has been hydrocracked to further refine and purify it.

Group III base stocks have similar characteristics to Group II base stocks, except that Group III base stocks have higher viscosity indexes. Group III base stocks are produced by further hydrocracking of Group II base stocks, or of hydroisomerized slack wax, (a byproduct of the dewaxing process).

Group IV base stock are polyalphaolefins (PAOs). A synthetic.

Group V is a catch all group for any other synthetic and mineral base stocks. Examples of group V base stocks include polyol esters, polyalkylene glycols (PAG oils), and perfluoropolyalkylethers (PFPAEs).

Groups I, II, and III are sometimes referred to as mineral oils and groups IV and V as synthetic oils. However, most manufacturers have labeled their group III based oils as synthetic in the US for reasons of economy and marketing.

That is what I am talking about. It is interesting what differentiates the various oils. Can you give us some examples of which oils fall in which category?

DaveDees 08-06-2008 07:15 PM

I will reserve my vote till a later date. To be honest, I really don't know what brand of oil is in my baby. Since I get my oil changed for free at the stealership, I've never really bothered to ask. I imagine they're using the recommanded oil.

Zonestar 08-10-2008 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboytruckn (Post 9623)
That is what I am talking about. It is interesting what differentiates the various oils. Can you give us some examples of which oils fall in which category?

All the non-synthetic oils will be Group II. The synthetic blends will be a mixture of Group II & III. The synthetic oils is where the confusion starts and this is for North America only. On our little piece of real estate the oil manufactures can label Group III oils as synthetic where rest of the planet it has to be a Group IV or V base stock. Most of the synthetic motor oils we buy today are Group III with some IV added in. When the new GF-5 standard comes out in 2010; motor oils will have to be Group III to meet the standard.

Group IV
Royal Purple
Amsoil (Signature Series, ASM,ASL, & ATM)
Castrol Syntec (0W30 the one made in Germany not USA)

Group V
Redline

I am only familiar with the US brand of motor oils.