DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Intake Mod (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=36662)

Man from mars 09-02-2008 05:51 PM

Intake Mod

1 Attachment(s)
What do you think? Not wanting to spend $300 on a cold air intake I made my own intake for the total cost of $30. Most intake kits breath the same hot engine compartment air so I eliminated the tube also. Why have any restriction at all?
The throttle response improved with the mod just like the kits I have installed on past vehicles. The big surprise was the additional 3 mpg increase with out the trailer and a 1.5 mpg increase while towing. I pull a trailer daily for my business so every mpg counts.

07HEMI 09-02-2008 06:09 PM

Sharp looking great job do you have a Ram Air hood ?

Man from mars 09-02-2008 06:31 PM

A Ram Air hood is on my list. Funny how there is never enough cash to keep up with all the ideas

07HEMI 09-02-2008 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Man from mars (Post 37627)
A Ram Air hood is on my list. Funny how there is never enough cash to keep up with all the ideas

I here ya bro :thk:

300 Addict 09-03-2008 03:22 PM

That is a great idea!! Looks pretty cool too!

BlueJet 09-03-2008 03:29 PM

Wow!! Pretty inventive! My Nitro is in production with Volant for a true cold air intake. They used mine and a friend of mine's for models. We are supposed to get the prototype in mid September. I have a K&N on mine right now, with that big shiny METAL pipe!:i_rolleyes: Looking forward to the new one and seeing how much better Blue will run!

300 Addict 09-03-2008 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueJet (Post 37657)
Wow!! Pretty inventive! My Nitro is in production with Volant for a true cold air intake. They used mine and a friend of mine's for models. We are supposed to get the prototype in mid September. I have a K&N on mine right now, with that big shiny METAL pipe!:i_rolleyes: Looking forward to the new one and seeing how much better Blue will run!

Should make it run nice by the sound of it. Looking foward to seeing it:smileup:

jrallen06QC 11-02-2008 10:08 PM

what did you use to make it?

Man from mars 11-06-2008 07:14 PM

I used a 3.5 inch Rubber PVC Pipe connector available at any home improvement store and a Spectre cone filter that you can get at Autozone or Advance Auto Parts.
First I drilled a hole in the rubber connector to mount the IAT (Intake Air Temp) Sensor then I mounted the rubber connector to the throttle body. The cone Air filter will fit over the connector. Works great and cheap to boot.

grey06hemi4x4 11-09-2008 08:43 PM

you might want to get a drycharger for it because it is so close to the trottle body. also think about a trottle body spacer it will improve the mpg and more power