DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   PAinting chrome dodge rims (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=36705)

Quiet Lunatic 09-11-2008 10:07 PM

PAinting chrome dodge rims

Anyone ever done this, or seen soemone else paint them? I have the big flower looking chrome rims and when i get some bigger tires i would love to paint them black but not sure how it will turn out peeling and chipping wise on the plastic chrome stuff...anyone know about it at all?

07HEMI 09-11-2008 10:12 PM

I have not done it. But I have read that powder coating is a good way to black them out.

Thanks Jay, I guess you can't powder coat the chrome clad wheels.

GT 09-11-2008 10:43 PM

Yep, you could powder coat them or you can go to your local automotive paint supply store and purchase some special primer for chrome surfaces that will etch into the chrome so your paint doesn't flake off.

Quiet Lunatic 09-11-2008 10:50 PM

Really?? thats awsome, and then i plan on using the duplicolour black rim paint from crappy on them....hmmm what automotive stores sell this paint all them or??? I am in canada as well remember!

BlueJet 09-12-2008 03:56 AM

When you do this, post some pictures!

300 Addict 09-12-2008 03:29 PM

Yeah!! That should look cool!!

DaveDees 09-12-2008 06:20 PM

I've been thinking of doing my chrome plastic pieces with this stuff. This might help you.

Dupli-Color Metalcast:
Want to dress up chrome and metal surfaces? METALCAST™ Anodized Color is the answer. Turn ordinary chrome pieces into a bright, transparent-colored metallic finish in an easy, one-step process. METALCAST™ is a durable enamel finish that is oil, gas and heat resistant to 500º F intermittently. Use it on both interior and exterior accessories - even high-heat applications under the hood! Available in seven popular anodized colors.

To achieve the anodized metal look on non-metal or painted surfaces, first prime with METALCAST™ Ground Coat, then follow up with a METALCAST™ Color.

Dupli-Color Adhesion Promoter:
Help protect against weather conditions and corrosion with Dupli-Color® Adhesion Promoter. This durable primer provides great adhesion when painting plastic, fiberglass, bumpers and aluminum trim molding.

RaiderJay6 09-12-2008 06:24 PM

Cant powder coat the plastic chrome so painting would be a good option. Just make sure you prep them good!

Quiet Lunatic 09-13-2008 02:40 AM

I was thinking about that metalcast stuff at first doing a black chrome but i dont want flashy i just want black, so mabye i will try and find this primer they talk of for the chrome and go from there mabye use the promoter as well jsut to be safe! and sand them first to with a gritty and then light sand paper paint it and wet sand and clear or just another coat of black over wet sand!

DaveDees 09-13-2008 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuk (Post 38127)
I was thinking about that metalcast stuff at first doing a black chrome but i dont want flashy i just want black, so mabye i will try and find this primer they talk of for the chrome and go from there mabye use the promoter as well jsut to be safe! and sand them first to with a gritty and then light sand paper paint it and wet sand and clear or just another coat of black over wet sand!

Here is a list of the colors they carry.

MC-200 Red
MC-201 Blue
MC-202 Yellow
MC-203 Green
MC-204 Purple
MC-205 Orange
MC-206 Smoke NEW!

MC-100 Ground Coat

I didn't know Dupli-color is made by Sherwin-Williams. It's listed in the MSDS sheets.