DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Makes a weird noise turning left?! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=36811)

r3d47 10-05-2008 08:12 PM

Makes a weird noise turning left?!

Vehicle: Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 4x4 Laramie Sport

Q: This truck makes a swirling metallic noise close to the axle when steering left but doesnt seem to be rotating as fast as the axle or tire when driving. When inspected by the eye it doesn't have any noticeable damage however can be heard inside the cabin when making a left and increases in noise volume when further pressed into the left direction. The steering wheel has some play in it! When making the left turn there is an apparent portion of slack before it starts to turn in either direction. Weird enough though when traveling in a left direction the noise seems to disappear momentarily whence directed towards right and placed in this free slack while the truck continues in a left direction. Oh and the slack is more apparent when traveling in a straight line making interstate travel more like an exercise from correcting it constantly. I put a new monroe steering stabilizer on it but its done nothing for the thing at all. I had an alignment done and the steering is still off.

BlueJet 10-06-2008 04:58 PM

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, just wanted to say hi and welcome! Why don't you head over the the newbie section and introduce yourself so we can greet you all proper like! :D

MeanGirl 10-08-2008 09:47 PM

my answer is only turn right then....lol. sorry, hope someone comes along soon and has the answer for you that will help!

jjtroutbum 06-15-2009 12:58 AM

My truck has exact same symptoms going on but its when making a right hand turn. wish someone would have been able to answer your question

chithead 06-15-2009 10:49 AM

Ball joints perhaps? Causing too much slack in the spindle?

Sparky 06-17-2009 12:51 AM

The steering should not have any "play" in it. You should have that looked at before something happens like a bad ball joint.

jjtroutbum 06-17-2009 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chithead (Post 63806)
Ball joints perhaps? Causing too much slack in the spindle?

Yep I do have bad ball joints bought new ones already would be on today but was raining most of the day and well the garage is "unavailable."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky (Post 64160)
The steering should not have any "play" in it. You should have that looked at before something happens like a bad ball joint.

Does have a little play in the wheel hopefully the ball joint replacing all of em will tighten it up.

Read something about the shield behind the rotors also. Will get to that and bearings once I get it up with the front wheels off.

erm 06-17-2009 01:50 AM

Yes, check that brake shield. Also check to see that your brake pads are fully seated in the caliper and aren't loose!

jjtroutbum 06-17-2009 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADDOG (Post 64169)
Yes, check that brake shield. Also check to see that your brake pads are fully seated in the caliper and aren't loose!

That's just a tad scary sounding. I know I will not for get that now!

Thanks...for the bad dreams...lol

erm 06-17-2009 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjtroutbum (Post 64171)
That's just a tad scary sounding. I know I will not for get that now!

Thanks...for the bad dreams...lol

LOL...didn't mean to cause you a nightmare but I've seen this happen. Also, sometimes a brake pad will warp or crack and cause this noise as it's no longer in the correct orientation to the rotor.