DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   I need help with a 94 Dodge Ram diesel (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=37231)

anthony8797 12-02-2008 10:45 PM

I need help with a 94 Dodge Ram diesel

someone please help me. i am going crazy:confused: i bought a 94 dodge ram 2500 4x4 5 speed diesel.. it has been sitting for 4 years.. nothing gelled up in the fuel system luckily:smileup: i cant get it to fire on the new diesel fuel i put in it.. i bleed the system up to the injection pump but i cant get much fuel from the injection pump to the injectors.. and when i do it is not much.. some one please help me and tell me what i can do.. i only know gas engines i am not to familiar with diesel....

Unbridled 12-03-2008 12:39 AM

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, I can't help you. I'm like you and only know gasoline engines.

LYC79 12-03-2008 02:10 AM

WELCOME to the ForumZ!
Sorry for you issue ... I know diesel engine (my Caliber is a diesel) but I don't know RAM , so I guess I can't help you ...
Anyway I'm sure someone else here will. Enjoy your stay!

DesertDog 12-03-2008 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthony8797 (Post 44317)
someone please help me. i am going crazy:confused: i bought a 94 dodge ram 2500 4x4 5 speed diesel.. it has been sitting for 4 years.. nothing gelled up in the fuel system luckily:smileup: i cant get it to fire on the new diesel fuel i put in it.. i bleed the system up to the injection pump but i cant get much fuel from the injection pump to the injectors.. and when i do it is not much.. some one please help me and tell me what i can do.. i only know gas engines i am not to familiar with diesel....

have you checked your rail pressure up to the injector pump ?
you might have an air leak (vaccum) in the system some where cosing not enough fuel pressure to build.

call your local dealer ask for the best diesel mech there and explain to them whats going on.

if not call a cummins dealer they will know for sure.

also make sure your fuel filter is on tight that will also cause no fuel to the injectors

good-luck

kiwi72 01-24-2010 09:49 PM

check the screen in in bowl next to lift pump maybe blocked

Toms Blue Ram 1500 01-24-2010 10:44 PM

Not sure on the Cummins . I mess with heavy equipment at my work and they have whats known as a lift pump . Not sure if you have one . But basicallly it's a small mechanical pump for the injection pump .

RamTech 01-25-2010 02:10 AM

Since it's been sitting for so long and you know you have fuel to the injector pump I'd suspect the injector pump and/or injectors.

wmonroe 02-12-2010 05:07 PM

If you haven't done so already I would change the fuel filter, and was already mentioned change the pre screen that is beside the fuel filter. When you remove the pre screen there is a black plastic piece like a hockey puck that is the fuel heater, take it out and put back together without it. The fuel heater can get small cracks in it that let air in.
If none of that fixes your problem I would replace the return fuel line. It dry rots, cracks and lets air in and causes a hard/no start condition. It won't leak fuel but it will let air in. After that if no go I would pull the overflow valve out and stretch the spring to about 5/8" and if that fixes the problem get a new overflow valve.
The lift pump and injection pump on the 94-98 12 valves were very durable units, not saying they never had any trouble, just not the first place I would look.
And for the record my last truck developed a crack in the fuel heater causing a no start condition, after removing the fuel heater the truck ran great.

hemiv8dodgeram1500 02-12-2010 05:08 PM

hello and welcome

Snowman 02-12-2010 05:54 PM

If fuel is reaching the injecter pump then you MIGHT need a new injection pump. Check with local diesel tech.