DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Noise in front suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=37327)

57Hemi08 12-14-2008 11:26 PM

Noise in front suspension

Anybody ever install a leveling kit and get a squeak/scretch? It sounds like it is coming from the upper control arm but not sure. It sounds like a bad wheel bearing but it only happens when I hit a bump in the road. As long as I am riding down a smooth road, I can't hear anything.

DesertDog 12-14-2008 11:55 PM

did u install this yur self ?

if so there is probly something not aligned or binding,

if a shop take it back have them look at it

or take a hub off look at the wheel bearings yur self

The Dog

ph3nom3non03 12-17-2008 11:14 PM

did you replace the shocks when you did the lower? because oe shocks can cause a problem second was the rubber bushing set back in when the new springs were installed? give me some info and i'll try to help you out some more

erm 12-17-2008 11:45 PM

One other potential is a bushing. Were there any replaced with the leveling kit? It may just need some lube.

57Hemi08 12-18-2008 01:31 PM

I put a 2.5" leveling kit in. Just a 2.5" metal spacer on top of the strut. I had a shop line the front end up back up. I didn't take the strut apart so no new shocks. None of the bushings were replaced. Somebody told me the upper ball joint may be bad but the truck just turned over 3000 miles. Is that possible? I can't find a place to grease the ball joint. I only get to work on the truck on the weekends so give me some suggestions and I'll check them out this weekend. Thanks.

boostjunkie1 12-18-2008 06:03 PM

If I remember correctly your Ball joints are sealed and cannot be greased. The squeaking noise is from the new install and you will not be able to get rid of it 100%. You have reduced the travle of your factory shock with the spacer. I use to run these and after seeing what They do to suspensions over a short period of time I quit. Buying a better Shock/Tower that will give you the amount of lift you need is the better/more expensive way to go, BUT that squeak will not be there and beleive me it is worth it :SHOCKED:.......:smileup:

erm 12-18-2008 06:47 PM

Good feedback, boostjunkie! You think it's the shocks then? Maybe they have reached the limit of their travel and the rubber at the mounting bolts is stretched to the limit!

boostjunkie1 12-18-2008 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADDOG (Post 45901)
Good feedback, boostjunkie! You think it's the shocks then? Maybe they have reached the limit of their travel and the rubber at the mounting bolts is stretched to the limit!

Well more than likely it is the spacer that he has installed, or when he re-installed them he did not get everything back into it's original position. Spacers really are the last option in leveling a truck. This is like the old ricer guys cutting there springs in there cars to get the lowered look. You have taken a spring that was engineered for a certian amount of travle and cut that down in both respects. The performance of the suspension has now been reduced by at least 20% and that can actually be dangerous.