DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram SRT10 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Thinking of buying an SRT-10, any opinions? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=37356)

woodman13 12-18-2008 08:18 AM

Thinking of buying an SRT-10, any opinions?

I have a couple of dodge trucks now that I like, but I want more HP and smiles to the miles. I was thinking of buying a SRT-10. What problems have you had? Is it worth the extra money? What issues should I look for when buying one?

I have a 2005 SB 5.7 with all the 6.1 goodies(cam, springs, push rods), headers, converter and tune. I am at the limit with this truck without dropping $7000 into a supercharger and I figure it is a good time to upgrade to a SRT-10.

Thanks !

boostjunkie1 12-18-2008 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodman13 (Post 45831)
I have a couple of dodge trucks now that I like, but I want more HP and smiles to the miles. I was thinking of buying a SRT-10. What problems have you had? Is it worth the extra money? What issues should I look for when buying one?

I have a 2005 SB 5.7 with all the 6.1 goodies(cam, springs, push rods), headers, converter and tune. I am at the limit with this truck without dropping $7000 into a supercharger and I figure it is a good time to upgrade to a SRT-10.

Thanks !

Stay away from the Quad Cab..... and Uhhhhhhh.... Stay away from the Black ones........ Hard as he(( to keep clean :smileup:

That's it. Go for it!

MADDOG 12-18-2008 06:43 PM

I say go for it! I watched one dyno a couple of weekends ago...huge HP and Torque numbers with minimal mods on the truck. I was impressed.

I talked with the owner at length and he indicated he's had no major issues and only a few small, niggling issues that the dealer has fixed.

boostjunkie1 12-18-2008 09:06 PM

You have to remember that the Truck is still a Dodge Ram. Just with better suspension, brakes, Tranny, and of course VIPER POWERED :smileup:! The 6spd trucks are a little hard to get used to as far as launching at the track. I have been to a couple of the SRT Nationals and have drove and rode in a couple. Also got a chance to ride in a Competetion Coupe Viper :SHOCKED:...... AWESOME!!!! The SRT10 is a low 13 second truck if you can get it to launch. Now the Quad Cab did have the option of a tow package and an automatic tranny. Basically what you will save by just putting a blower on the HEMI will pay for itself more over against the initial cost of the SRT10. Hell, just get the ground effects, wheels, hood, brakes, and look the part. I think that the HEMI sounds better anyway :smileup:

boostjunkie1 12-18-2008 09:07 PM

Squires turbo systems are bad &$$ also!

Blackzilla 12-19-2008 04:42 PM

Enjoy mine.........tires are around $300 per burn a rear set off.......oil is mobil1 0/40w @ $7.00 per qt. at wally world doing it yourself 7qts. dealer will be $100+. If your not good with manual 3rd gear tricky. Basically its a viper on a 1500 frame. Actual wt of truck is around 5100 lbs. reg. is around 6500. Ins. depending company/driving record amount you may pay.....full cover was $575 4 me. With out extended warranty very expensive. These are only some things to considered. The only reason i traded mine in was needed a 4x4 to tow my 272 Baja. Good luck an if ya can find out who own an call them an ask question b4 buying. Heres mine.

HemiChick 12-19-2008 06:01 PM

the dealership I bought my truck at got one in the other day, granted it was a quad cab and automatic. I am good friends with the owner of the dealership and begged him to let me take it out for a little bit, so I got to play around in it.
Wasnt really that impressed, ya it looks great but not great enough to justify the price IMO.
I like my daytona better :smileup:

J@SONB 12-31-2008 12:08 PM

I had lots of good times in mine but it wasn't practical at all...

Got rid of it at 27,000 miles... Had to replace brake pads 2 times, rotors once, leaky rear main seal, clutch replacement at 17,000 miles... and mods are EXPENSIVE!!!
It also averaged about 11MPG

I did tow with mine on many occasions and never a problem, in fact it towed quite well.

I'm now in a HEMI and enjoying it... Go figure. :)

http://www.ramforumz.com/PHOTOPOST/d.../towinhome.jpg

DesertDog 12-31-2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boostjunkie1 (Post 45892)
Stay away from the Quad Cab..... and Uhhhhhhh.... Stay away from the Black ones........ Hard as he(( to keep clean :smileup:

That's it. Go for it!

once you Black you never go back....HA!

B.Jones79 01-23-2009 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J@SONB (Post 47468)
Got rid of it at 27,000 miles... Had to replace brake pads 2 times, rotors once, leaky rear main seal, clutch replacement at 17,000 miles...

Geez, you must have been driving like a mad man. New set's of brake pads twice and new rotors with in 27k miles!! :158: