DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   New truck (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=37420)

5.9 Cummins 12-23-2008 12:58 AM

New truck

Okay i recently moved to plant city fl and bought myself my first cummins. Its a 2001 dodge ram 2500 2wd with the 6 sp manual. Its a very truck and its actually very quick for being a pick up. I want to beef up the motor with a exhaust (stacks of course) and figure out how to get it to blow some black smoke.. I wanna beef it up cause my dad challenged me to a race on the drag strip thats local so if you have any ideas on power thats somewhat cheat id love to know

thanks

LYC79 12-23-2008 02:22 AM

Sorry don't have an answer for you, just wanted to say WELCOME to the ForumZ ! :wavey:
Please take a moment to go on Newbie Checkin and say hello, so we can all welcome you in the proper way :)

DesertDog 12-23-2008 08:04 AM

welcome 5.9

put a diablo tuner in it with exhaust and an air intake, you'll get yur black smoke

07HEMI 12-23-2008 03:25 PM

Congrats and welcome to the site.

BlueJet 12-23-2008 03:51 PM

Hello and welcome! :wavey:

Congrats on your truck! Post us some pictures! Hopefully you will beat your dad, just be careful! ;)

boostjunkie1 12-23-2008 04:59 PM

I hate to keep steering people to the DTR Site but I feel that if it was me I would want to go somewhere that had all of the information I needed. Google DTR (Diesel Truck Rescource). This is a site all about the Dodge Ram / Cummins Trucks. Look under the 2nd Gen Forums and use the search button. Good Luck and I had a 01 2500 HO with the 6spd. Great Truck, but be easy on that tranny. They are just now starting to make reman units and they are expensive.

erm 12-23-2008 05:10 PM

Welcome to the site!

thswyup 02-17-2009 02:19 PM

what not to do

hello,

just a tip from some one who's in the middle of changing upgrades.

if you still have the stock on the block fuel pump, do ot replace it with the in-tank version. the in-tank version is also inadequate. i tried it and am now paying extra on top of the price of the intank pump, to replace it with a FASS 150gph fuel pump.

if you're planning on really working up your horsepower don't bother with moderate performance boxes, i'm switching from an Edge EZ to the Juice w/attitude. the EZ worked well, especially with the bigger injector tips. but, i was operating blind as to EGTs, Boost pressure, and Fuel pressure. the juice with attitude gives you all those gauges and many others for less than it'll cost you to purchase and install gauges on top of the EZ or similar module w/o gauges. After my last trip to Glamis, I noticed my exhaust manifold had drastically changed colors form prolonged excessive heat. I did not have the boost high enough. my mechanic informed me that I should really install gauges right away, and get rid of the intank fuel pump.

i hope this helps,

thswyup

99BIGREDDODGE 03-22-2010 01:01 PM

definetly do not put an in take pump. i had to spend a little money but i think the air dog fuel system is the best..fass is good to but the air dog has a 6 yr warranty. have no problems getting fuel to the motor now.

iRESQu 03-22-2010 01:09 PM

Congrats and welcome! I think everyone has already chimmed in....I second their opinions! Best of luck, safely!