DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   ram 1500 4x4 issue (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=37612)

dodgeram1500 01-11-2009 11:22 PM

ram 1500 4x4 issue

RESOLVEDD CHECK LAST POST! ALWAYS CHECK THE OBVIOUS THINGS FIRST HAHA

2000 dodge ram 4x4

frustrated now lol
first started out as a whinning/vibration at about 30mph+ when in 4 wheel drive
then started popping out of 4 wheel then right back in the got so bad it would do it 5 times in 5 seconds, so i took off the vacuum actuator and seen that the intermediate shaft was chewed up, so i replaced..

intermediate shaft
vacuum motor
shift fork
collar
U-joints on both sides

still getting the whinnin/humming/vibration but stoped kicking it out of 4 wheel drive, lasted about 2 weeks it started kicking it out again, looked at the shaft, chewed up again, so put a washer right the motor side of the shift fork to engage the callar farther, worked fine for 2 weeks now started to shift back out again. have good vacuum, what could it be??

http://econtent.autozone.com:24991/z...52800c0bb1.gif

Marcelo 01-12-2009 06:30 AM

:4-dontknow::4-dontknow::4-dontknow:

Can't help you with your truck issue...
Surely someone more technically fit than me will. :thk:
In the meantime you may like to pass by the newbie forum and introduce yourself ;)

Good luck!

RLRambler 01-12-2009 06:37 AM

Is this the Electrical, or Manual Shifter?

dodgeram1500 01-12-2009 04:23 PM

its manual, ive replaced the vacuum switch too that comes off the transfer case
did some work on it last night engages and disengaes fine the shift motor works perfectly, collar slides easy it engages all the way but when driving something is going wrong it throws it out then the vacuum motor throws it right back in very frustrating

08quadram 01-13-2009 09:02 AM

Have you check to make sure you have enough vacuum at the actuator motor. You may have plenty at idle, but running down the road you may not. I used to have several Jeep Grand Wagoneers and everything on those ran by vacuum. My '83 required that the vacuum actuator at the front axle engage first, then it would travel to the transfer case and engage that. Something to check out.

dodgeram1500 01-13-2009 06:11 PM

just checked and at actuator it has almost 20 in of vacuum even more when coming down from being revved up... last night i was driving around in 4w with new shift fork that i replaced last night because it was sloppy and still, seen the 4wd light kick off so i backed off the gas and turned the wheel back n forth and light came back on in about 3 seconds. did it a few times in a couple minutes, just lost right now
HELP lol

dodgeram1500 01-13-2009 11:52 PM

ok talked to a guy at the dealership and he said to check my vac lines, so im going to replace all just to be safe, buggers been frustrating me. i did find a flaky vac line that goes to a box up by the passenger side under a plastic cover, im guessing is the atmosphere box. anyway will let ya know how it goes.

dodgeram1500 01-14-2009 04:35 PM

ha, so i replaced all the important vac lines, disabled the cruise control right off the system, still same problem. had a buddy look at it last night, he has the same truck except its a 2500, and he seems to think its something to do with the transfer case. heres why, when driving in 4wd it rumbles/whines at 30, rumble/whines and vibrates at 35 and 40 vibration goes away a little and 45+ is just crazy. when shifting on the fly from 4wd to 2wd i accelerate, let off gas, shift to 2wd, gas a little then back off and it stays engaged for a minute then when it disengages HARD very hard it feels like a tranny slam then all the noise goes away and drives smooth......

dodgeram1500 01-15-2009 10:10 PM

4x4 issue RESOLVED WOW LOL

ha wont believe this, really is a reminder to check the small things. last year i was messing around riding on the plowed curbside of the road and didnt notice a hidden fire hidrant, hit it and it blew my front right tire and rim, so i had to put stock rims on the front. (16" in front 17" in back) but did have same tires all around bf goodrich all terrains. heres the funny thing, theres at least an inch difference in height between these 2 tires. the 16" is actually taller than the 17". put new tires on my other 16" rims and good to go, no more noise, no more kicking out of 4wd, amazing, jumped right on the expressway in 4wd got er up to 70 an no noise ;):box2::doh:

boostjunkie1 01-16-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgeram1500 (Post 49763)
ha wont believe this, really is a reminder to check the small things. last year i was messing around riding on the plowed curbside of the road and didnt notice a hidden fire hidrant, hit it and it blew my front right tire and rim, so i had to put stock rims on the front. (16" in front 17" in back) but did have same tires all around bf goodrich all terrains. heres the funny thing, theres at least an inch difference in height between these 2 tires. the 16" is actually taller than the 17". put new tires on my other 16" rims and good to go, no more noise, no more kicking out of 4wd, amazing, jumped right on the expressway in 4wd got er up to 70 an no noise ;):box2::doh:

So what you are saying is that you have committed 2 sins of having a 4X4..... 1st you put different sized wheels on the front and back...... Then after you fixed it you drove 70 MPH in 4-Hi :4-looney:............You just figured it out and are trying to break it again :Wow1:=:doh:...... Please take care of your truck and be careful....70 MPH on the highway in 4-Hi is dangerous. Glad you figured it out. That would have been my first thought if it were me ;)...