DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Aftermarket Radio Help (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=37737)

ShanghaiPaddles 01-22-2009 05:49 PM

Aftermarket Radio Help

So I'm trying to install an aftermarket cd player into my 2001 Ram 1500. I connected all the wires and plugged in the wiring harness and went to turn on the radio. But it didn't work. I double checked my wires and all were fine so I took a test light to the wires and found that both the positive and the negative speaker wires are getting power. WTF? :4-dontknow: A friend said that it was because of the stock amp installed so I need to know what to do to make the cd player work. Any and all help is awesome.

-Kevin

chithead 01-22-2009 08:01 PM

Not sure if this helps but might double check:

Constant 12V+ Red
Switched 12V+ Red/White
Ground n/a
Illumination n/a
Dimmer Orange/White
Antenna Trigger Yellow
Antenna Right Front
Front Speakers 6" x 9" Doors
Left Front (+) Dark Green
Left Front (-) Brown/Red
Right Front (+) Purple
Right Front (-) Dark Blue/Red
Rear Speakers 5 1/4" Side Panels
Left Rear (+) Brown/Yellow
Left Rear (-) Brown/Light Blue
Right Rear (+) Dark Blue/White
Right Rear (-) Dark Blue/Orange

If I remember correctly, the amps were on the speakers if you had the Infinity system in those trucks.

ShanghaiPaddles 01-22-2009 08:26 PM

Thanks for posting the diagram, I'll double check tomorrow when it's not so cold out. You are correct, the speakers are on the speakers.

chithead 01-22-2009 09:26 PM

Cool let us know how it turns out.

bwoodredkneck 01-23-2009 12:40 AM

on my 01 i had a alpine toutch screen and i had to run the 12v power to my fuse box

chithead 01-23-2009 09:55 AM

I read that the 04-08 Rams do not carry enough voltage on their constant (pink wire I believe it is) to provide a good power for aftermarket radios, but had not heard if this was the case on any previous models.

ShanghaiPaddles 01-23-2009 03:24 PM

So I haven't checked the wires yet, but last night I tried one more time to get it to work and the deck turned on and everything worked: radio, cd, aux but there was no sound coming out of the speakers. No matter how loud I turned it up or which source I was on, there was no noise or static or anything. This is just confusing the hell out of me.

-Kevin

bwoodredkneck 01-23-2009 07:21 PM

some times the wire colors are diffrent you mite have to actually read the text on the wires

chithead 01-26-2009 02:30 PM

Hmmm... Definitely is a weird diagnosis. What kind of radio is it?

loudrango 01-26-2009 11:20 PM

your friend is right.it is to do with the factory amp.this is a big issue in rams,'rangos,etc that have the factory infinity setup.most i know bypass the factory amp and add a small aftermarket one in its place.