DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Front Axle swap and other info (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=37784)

Crazy Canadian 01-25-2009 10:44 PM

Front Axle swap and other info

Hi I have a 2008 Dodge ram 1500 ST 4x4 with the 5.7 HEMI. I have some questions to ask. I am looking at doing a 5 inch suspention lift and be able to run 35" or 37" tires. I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE MODIFYING A TRUCK!

First, does anyone know of a company that makes a kit to fit a solid front axle to my truck? I would like to go multilink with coils, plus I would be getting ARB air lockers front and rear.

Second, In the rear I got a Dodge corporate 9.25 LD rear axle, would I need to buy a new axle as well, to put a locker in, or can I/should I install it in the axle I already have

Third, could I use a salvaged or new front/rear axle from a Dodge 2500/3500, or should I go with a DANA, which I hear a lot about, are they a good axle or just over rated? Plus if I went the dodge route would it be a lot easier?

Fourth, what else would I have to buy/modify to keep the vehicle running tight, ie., steering, bracing, stuff like that.

Fifth, how much is this going to cost? You can tell me in American dollars and I will just add 30%, lol. I would have to pay a shop because I have no tools/experience to do it myself. Also, can I sell anything I am taking off my truck? it's only a year old and it has been rust proofed so everything is clean and in excellent shape, I only have 14 000 kms on it.

I guess if no one can help me does anyone know of another site?

snookers 02-03-2009 06:47 PM

It would probably be cheaper to buy another older truck with straight axles than to modify your truck for them.....espicially if your going to rely on others to do the work for you................why don't you lift the truck you have ......BDS makes a 6" kit for your truck, both listed below and shows the max tire size tou can run with

6" IFS System 4" Block Kit 36" x 12.50" $1,956.58

6" IFS System 5" Leaf Spring 36" x 12.50" $2,541.92

http://www.bds-suspension.com/php/ProductSelect.php

Crazy Canadian 02-17-2009 10:47 PM

Been Looking at that

I have been looking at that option. I have been looking at the BDS lift kit and the procomp lift kit. I was thinking of doing the mud truck thing but it is to expensive.

I would just be looking for a trail truck. I have heard though, that a lot of people that go to 35" + tire sizes end up breaking stuff on there front end. Although I havent heard of any one doing it with a lifty kit, just a load leveling kit. I guess that doesn't really upgrade the rest of the drivetrain, it just stresses out the stock components.

I guess I am wondering what your product includes that make's a six inch lift possable. What kind of difference in street handling to you get with a 6" lift and how badly to you void you factory warranty.

mxd909 06-12-2009 02:47 AM

I have an 05 ram and was looking in to the same thing. There's a lot more than just welding up some link brackets in the front and thats it. You have to convert your steering to box style. rack and pinion wont work. Also the transfer case as well. the 1500's have a front slip yoke style. won't work with the straight axle. Like he said, its cheaper to by a new truck that has the solid axle up front. and not even the rear 9.25 or a dana 44, like the previous model have in front, will hold up to 37s and mud. Best bet, trade your truck in on a 2500 or 3500. well worth it.

jamesb0 06-12-2009 07:05 AM

You need to figure out if you going for show or the trail, show you can get a lift for your 1500 if the trail your calling get a 2500.