DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Programmers, My head hurts!! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=37852)

bendover4me 01-30-2009 10:24 PM

Programmers, My head hurts!!
 
I was looking to add a performance chip, for the first time ever, and I believe I have found that there are not only chips, which I believe is just plug in and they run one program, and programmers that do so much more that it confuses me.

The Evolution by Edge sounds like a good one as it can adjust many things and has 4 pre programs, but I dont think you can change shift points or fan speeds/temp settings or tire size diff.

The Hypertech max energy and ECON do a lot of things too but their site says it doesn't match my truck to that product although some one on e bay is selling one for my truck.

Superchips has Cortex and FlashPaq Which to me seems to be the most comprehensive as far as abilities go but I don't know about eal time performance.

any halp in choosing would be appreciated.

erm 01-31-2009 12:30 AM

DiabloSport Predator Programmer. None better for the HEMI powered trucks.

The Chrysler / Dodge LX & LY platform car owners (Chrysler 300, Dodge Magnum, Dodge Charger, Dodge Challenger) love the Predator. It's not just a chip, it's a true programmer with a lot of nice options, multiple tunes, you can log with it, clear codes, add custom programs and many other cool options.

I have a 2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8 with the 6.1L HEMI and I speak from experience.

Don't bother with the rest, go get the best.

jlcemmons 02-16-2009 01:53 PM

The Evolution has greater horse power, but does not address tire size changes. Cortex does the later, but does have the horse power gains the Edge says it produces. Not sure which way to go. Any thoughts?

erm 02-16-2009 04:51 PM

Get the one with the most flexibility to customize your tune, especially if you plan on lifting the truck, modifying the engine or other custom performance enhancements.

Most "chips" are just that, a pre-programmed chip that loads or unloads a set program.

Programmers, on the other hand, have the flexibility to change some parameters as your truck evolves.

When I need to make a decision on what to get in this area, I make a simple compare and contrast list. The first column are features I know I'll need plus some that are good to have. The rest of the columns that are dedicated to each vendor's offering. The most amount of checks in one column, plus any additional features they offer, wins my business.

HEMIpatriot 02-19-2009 04:04 PM

is this to good to be true.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PERFO...Q5fAccessories

I have an 06 Hemi and want to mainly improve om fuel mileage

StevoSRT 02-19-2009 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADDOG (Post 51565)
DiabloSport Predator Programmer. None better for the HEMI powered trucks.

The Chrysler / Dodge LX & LY platform car owners (Chrysler 300, Dodge Magnum, Dodge Charger, Dodge Challenger) love the Predator. It's not just a chip, it's a true programmer with a lot of nice options, multiple tunes, you can log with it, clear codes, add custom programs and many other cool options.

I have a 2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8 with the 6.1L HEMI and I speak from experience.

Don't bother with the rest, go get the best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADDOG (Post 52978)
Get the one with the most flexibility to customize your tune, especially if you plan on lifting the truck, modifying the engine or other custom performance enhancements.

Most "chips" are just that, a pre-programmed chip that loads or unloads a set program.

Programmers, on the other hand, have the flexibility to change some parameters as your truck evolves.

When I need to make a decision on what to get in this area, I make a simple compare and contrast list. The first column are features I know I'll need plus some that are good to have. The rest of the columns that are dedicated to each vendor's offering. The most amount of checks in one column, plus any additional features they offer, wins my business.

Amen to that.....

Me haz a predator too :) haha

StevoSRT 02-19-2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEMIpatriot (Post 53330)
is this to good to be true.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PERFO...Q5fAccessories

I have an 06 Hemi and want to mainly improve om fuel mileage

If it is im gonna buy 10000 of them and sell them myself lol

suparam 02-19-2009 05:43 PM

sorry to hijack your thread but what about for the 4.7L? besides the jet chip? i really want a programmer and not a chip

StevoSRT 02-20-2009 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suparam (Post 53336)
sorry to hijack your thread but what about for the 4.7L? besides the jet chip? i really want a programmer and not a chip

it has been my expeirence that your better off putting your truck in a trash compactor than using a Jet chip....I cant speak for the chips on trucks but on SRT's they (and this is almost a proven fact) make the car slower lol

chefred112 02-21-2009 01:01 PM

for a 4.7, the superchips 3815 will work (on hemis too)..depends on what year you have..

The 2 top programmers imo are the DS and SC...I have them both and I've run my fastest times with the DS and a custom cmr tune (no tcm programming)... but, with that said, alot of guys (including me) are runnin into major tranny issues (I have to rebuild mine very soon cuz of it).... I reverted back to SC and most of my tranny issues went away (altho I believe my overdrive clutch's are about toast)...so at least I can drive around a bit while I find and buy a rebuild kit...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger