DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.7L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   Extended fast idle - 2008 dodge ram 1500 hemi (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=37906)

OLDTECH 02-03-2009 09:34 PM

Extended fast idle - 2008 dodge ram 1500 hemi

When i start my truck the fast idle stays up to 1200 to 1400 rpm for approximately 2 minutes before falling to curb idle speed. This happens with engine cold or hot. Took to dealer. They contacted dodge technical assistance and were told there is no fix at this time and that condition is to be considered normal at this time. The fast idle would be correct with cold engine but not with hot engine. Has anyone out there had this problem and if so, what did you do? Thanks for any info.you might have.
Oldtech

boostjunkie1 02-03-2009 10:44 PM

The fast idle can be lowered by pressing the gas pedal quickley, or by pressing the brake in hard and putting the vehicle in gear. The engine will reduce RPM before the Tranny will engage in gear as long as the brake is in all the way. This programming is built in to save the tranny........ All is NORMAL and to be expected. My last Toyota Tacoma had a freaking high idle that was the same in Hot and Cold climates. Sounded like the engine was going to blow up sometimes :SHOCKED:

OLDTECH 02-05-2009 08:41 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.
Oldtech

cerres 02-05-2009 09:25 PM

High idle is rather common. At start up, at low RPM, there's not enough oil being thrown onto the cylinder walls... high idle insures a sufficient amount of oil on the cylinders at start up, hot or cold...
If ever you have the opportunity to see the bottom end of an engine throw oil onto the cylinders at idle (they really do this via lexan windows in the pan or cameras mounted on test engines), you'd be shocked how little is actually getting to the cylinders!

OLDTECH 02-09-2009 10:27 PM

Thanks for the input . As i noted before , i contacted the dealer about the high idle on hot start. They stated dodge knew of the problem and were working on a fix and deemed it normal until the fix was ready which i assume will be a reprogram of the ecm.. Also ,i have a 2006 charger rt with the same engine including mds. The fast idle drops to curb idle within 10 seconds of startup when hot and drops to curd idle within 20 seconds of a cold start. The owners manual for my truck states do not put into gear until rpm drops to curb idle or transmission damage will result. If you guys have seen anything in print that updates the owners manual please let me know where you found it. Thanks for your help.
Oldtech

boostjunkie1 02-09-2009 10:35 PM

Have you tried blipping the throttle to see if your RPMs will drop after?? When I push the brake in all the way and place the truck in reverse the rpms come down and the tranny then shifts into reverse. Just make sure that you have your foot on the brake or it will slam into reverse.

erm 02-10-2009 05:15 PM

My Chrysler did this until they reflashed the computer. Startup idle speed was consistently at about the same RPM as you stated, hot or cold.

No problems now.

nixont 02-19-2011 07:19 PM

Does anybody know if they have a fix for the Ram yet? My 2007 Ram 1500 with a 4.7l does the same thing. It scares me every time i stick it into reverse. Fast idle starts at about 1200rpm regardless of the engine temp.

67Polara 02-20-2011 05:32 AM

should i be worried that my ram doesnt do this, it hits 900 rpm's at most cold.

maybz 07-02-2012 08:18 PM

just wondering if you ever solved the problem with the high idle on start up. My 07 hemi does the same