DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   3.7L Slant 6 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215)
-   -   '82 Ram Issues (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=37937)

xXxCBSxXx 02-06-2009 08:08 PM

'82 Ram Issues

Im 16 and for my birthday I got a 1982 Dodge Ram with a Slant Six and a auto tranny. Its a great truck, but I've been having some problems with it. The truck hasn't been ran in about three years, but it starts. I've already changed all the fluids, the spark plugs, and the oil and the fuel filter. When i try to start the truck, sometimes i have to turn the key ten times to get it to even catch a spark, is this a problem with the starter? Also, when I manage to get it started, when i put it into reverse or drive it will sometimes completly shut down and I don't know why. When I put it into drive or reverse (if it shuts off) it will buck or stall before quiting. What could be causing these problems? Is it beacuse it hasn't been driven in so long or is it something else? PLEASE HELP!!!

speedemon 01-17-2011 07:53 PM

to start with its an old truck
second the carb might need to be changed or rebuilt i just change them for me rebuilding never works out and they cost about 150 or so
mine when its cold it takes it alittle bit to start sounds like im going to run the battery down that normal for an old truck
alot of the issuses will solve themselfs with a new carb also check all vaccum lines make sure you have no leaks

RootBeer 01-17-2011 08:00 PM

The truck needs 3 things to run.

1. Fuel
2. Air
3. Ignition

So, here's what I'd do.

1. Turn the key "on", do not try to start it. Remove the air clean and look down the throat of the carb or throttle body. I'm not sure which that year has. Operate the throttle linkage and see if fuel is squirted into it. If there is, then you know you've got fuel.

2. Remove the top of the distributor cap. Look at the rotor (black thing in the middle of the distributor sitting on top of the shaft) is the metal tab on it warn or black on the edge?

3. Look at the contacts on the inside of the cap. Are they warn or black?

If all the above are good. Let us know and we'll have more ideas.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 01-17-2011 08:52 PM

Brought this one back from the dead !

RootBeer 01-17-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 (Post 415829)
Brought this one back from the dead !

DOH, I usually catch that kind of stuff. :LOL:

82ram150 02-16-2011 11:17 PM

I would start with the list of things above. I noticed on my slant, the 90 degree bend in the fuel line right before the carb looks like it is pinched. I'm replacing that soon but I know that is a problem when I give it gas too quick. I'd check the fuel filter too. I have lean burn on my truck. I can start mine first try every time with one pump of the throttle.... Till the high idle screw fell out. Slants are good engines. Wouldnt swap that engine for anything but maybe a diesel.