DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   My '05 and butt feeling? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=38685)

Danstona 04-13-2009 12:46 PM

My '05 and butt feeling?

First off, its an '05 QC SLT Hemi Sport, 3.92 rear end with 5.7L Hemi and 4x4. What happens is when I am doing about 40-60mph or 70-100kmh if I let off the gas then there is a bit of a thud feeling through the drivetrain. Its as if the torque converter is disengaging hard... I was thinking maybe motor mounts or something though. I never noticed this when it was cold out, but now that its warm, its quite noticable when cruising and just strait letting off the gas. It has me worried more than anything. I also have a feeling of wheel imbalance from the rear end... all this stuff I can feel in my butt.... I just want to know what everyone thinks could be causing the bump or push feeling in the drivetrain when I let off the gas. The only way I can explain it, is that its like having a bowling ball or something in the box, and when you let off the gas, its like the bowling ball slides from the tailgate to the front of the box, and bumps up against the cab... ideas? I checked the u-joints and they seem to be snug.. no play at all.

Aggie 5.7 04-13-2009 05:17 PM

I'd go take it and get it checked out at a dealership. Dodge hasnt always been known for their great transmissions.

Danstona 04-15-2009 01:18 PM

Well, I basically have had it into my girlfriends dads shop, and he said it doesn't seem like anything to worry about. He has test drove the truck and knows the feeling that I am referring to. He also wants to rebalance the tires and maybe do an alignment, it just seems like things keep getting out of balance for some reason. Also, I have had him change the engine and tranny fluids to full sythetic. The transmission had a full flush and filter change (2 filters). The one mechanic said it did sometimes seem as though the back tires were slipping on the dry pavement, but they weren't actually slipping?? I do have the anti spin rear... would that explain the feeling for that? I know these are a lot of questions, but I am just concerned that something is going to break... I don't want to go to the dealer because I am afraid that there is going to be a hefty repair bill, and beings I am laid off work, I can't afford one of those right now.

Aggie 5.7 04-15-2009 08:26 PM

No offense to your girlfriend's dad, but take it to the dealer for a couple reasons.

1.) He could be wrong, no matter how much of an expert someone is on something, it could always be overlooked. Going to the dealer means that if they miss it, they pay for it.

2.) Get it in writing FROM THE DEALER that they could find nothing wrong with the truck. That way, if it does break, guess who's getting a new Dodge Ram (09 anyone??)

3.) If there is something wrong with it, the dealer will be able to give the best diagnosis (plus you get a sweet loaner that you can rag the piss outta :smiley_thumbs_up:) Once you have the diagnosis, then we can give a solution on how to fix it.