DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   03 ,1500, 4.7 idols low and now wont start (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=39353)

dkgwelch 06-01-2009 09:39 PM

03 ,1500, 4.7 idols low and now wont start

My truck idoled funny for a week and would shut off when making turns or when the rpms get to low usually when braking. But then it would fire right back up.After that i turned the engine off one day and it wont start sounds like its not getting fuel.? any suggestions?

dkgwelch 06-01-2009 09:41 PM

Also if it is the fuel pump is it easier to remove the bed or drop the tank?

OTwoRam 06-01-2009 09:45 PM

I always slide the bed back ust ause its easier to move the bed then drop the tank and lift it back up and you dont have to unhook all that stuff. When you find out whats wrong lemme know cause my 4.7 does the low idle and sometimes stalls

dkgwelch 06-01-2009 09:50 PM

how many bolts need to be romoved for that

Sparky 06-01-2009 11:13 PM

Most truck beds that I have removed have 6 bolts.

dkgwelch 06-02-2009 04:32 PM

So this morning I took the bed off the truck and replaced the fuel filter. It was really an easy job. The truck now starts and will idle, but after driving down the highway and slowing to stop it stalled. So the idle is still acting funny and cuts almost every time i brake to a stop ???? Any suggestions of what it might bed now...

OTwoRam 06-02-2009 06:19 PM

one of the other things on here people have said is that there is carbon build up on the valves, one of the other members suggested using seafoam and see if that helps to clear the engine out some, also try using a good carb cleaner on the tb

boostjunkie1 06-02-2009 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkgwelch (Post 62003)
So this morning I took the bed off the truck and replaced the fuel filter. It was really an easy job. The truck now starts and will idle, but after driving down the highway and slowing to stop it stalled. So the idle is still acting funny and cuts almost every time i brake to a stop ???? Any suggestions of what it might bed now...

I would replace all of the spark plugs/wires. SEAFOAM the engine (Fuel), change the oil to a lighter weight oil, clean the throttle body, PCV-Valve, and replace the air filter. If you do all of these things and it still wants to shut off then I would replace the O2 and Exhaust Gas Sensors. Make sure that there are no fuel leaks anywhere and that you do not have any fuel in the oil. Getting a compression check is a good idea and having the Dealership put her on the Computer and checking for Missfiring would be my last idea. If none of those work report back :smileup:

dkgwelch 06-05-2009 08:39 AM

I will start with the oil change , air filter, and sea foam.

Magnum488 06-05-2009 10:58 PM

You should check the IAC (idle air control) valve. If it is gummed up it can stick and do some weird things to the idle! Or it can go bad, it's just an electric motor that moves a valve back and forth to let more or less air in, to adjust the idle speed as the computer tells it to.