DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Camshaft for 4.7 (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=39365)

lienhart06 06-02-2009 12:42 AM

Camshaft for 4.7

I found some camshafts on airram.com for the 4.7 liter. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the average horsepower gain i would get. i dont wanna spend the money if the gain isnt gonna be that great. I know it depends on the lobes and type of cam but i was just trying to get a general idea.

hotrodder 06-02-2009 11:11 PM

Do you have the actual cam spec's? If you run too big of a camshaft, it can and usually does hurt overall performance gain. If it's a little more than factory, then it will bump the power up (how much I don't know). Usually, people go to a bigger cam after a cold air intake has been put on, bigger throttle body, perhaps even a throttle body spacer, and a better flowing exhaust system.... Then the other factor is the heads... Will they flow enough to make use of all the more flow in air into the motor, and get it back out? Depending on the cam in question, you may even have to upgrade valve springs and retainers... It kind of all depends on, well, everything... Let's start off (since I don't know what you're dealing with in total) all your currently running, and the actual cam spec's in question....

chithead 06-03-2009 10:57 AM

Maybe go to the 2008 intake along with the cam? I have seen modification kits making it an easy upgrade.

AIR RAM 06-15-2009 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrodder (Post 62075)
Do you have the actual cam spec's? If you run too big of a camshaft, it can and usually does hurt overall performance gain. If it's a little more than factory, then it will bump the power up (how much I don't know). Usually, people go to a bigger cam after a cold air intake has been put on, bigger throttle body, perhaps even a throttle body spacer, and a better flowing exhaust system.... Then the other factor is the heads... Will they flow enough to make use of all the more flow in air into the motor, and get it back out? Depending on the cam in question, you may even have to upgrade valve springs and retainers... It kind of all depends on, well, everything... Let's start off (since I don't know what you're dealing with in total) all your currently running, and the actual cam spec's in question....

The cams he is looking at are all based of the H/O cams which are factory cams. The H/O cams are on a 111 Center line while the standard cams are based off a 115 center line... These have been a popular upgrade ever since I can remember dating all the way back to 2002... So there is nothing to worry about other then gaining about 20RWHP with them. They would work real well with the 2008 Intake and a 70MM throttle body.

Throttle body spacers are useless on a Multi Port Fuel injected engine... think about it. They are said to help "Atomize" Air & fuel by "Spinning" the mixture... but on a Multi Port Fuel Injected engine the fuel is not introduced until the end of each intake runner... so that means only air passes through the spacer... and it has to travel a minimum of 24 inches before it ever sees fuel. I have also seen Throttle body Spacers LOSE performance on the DYNO... here is a picture of a spacer held to the back side of a STOCK throttle body... look closely as you can see the INNER diameter is much much smaller then the throttle body diameter... This is a restriction!

http://www.fototime.com/7FCBD1E848DF484/standard.jpg

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

chithead 06-17-2009 10:01 PM

Would these cam upgrades work in the 08? I thought I read the cam specs were different on them from the factory.

AIR RAM 06-17-2009 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chithead (Post 64409)
Would these cam upgrades work in the 08? I thought I read the cam specs were different on them from the factory.

Honestly your 4.7L came from the factory with more HP then most 1999-2007 4.7L make modified...

The 2008 heads are completely different and so are the cam shafts. I also believe your 2008 cams are more aggressive then the older 4.7L engines. I'm not sure how they would stack up to the H/O grinds but Im willing to be they offer similar performance.

So at this time there are no aftermarket cams available for your 2008 4.7L engine.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

AIR RAM 08-18-2009 03:40 PM

http://www.airram.com/productphotos/large/3111.jpg

Contact Comp Cams for custom 4.7L cams! They are looking into making them for the 4.7L but will not make them if they do not get enough request.

So if your intrested in Cams for the 4.7L engine...then do your part and contact COMP CAMS... tell them you need cams for your Chrysler 4.7L engine. They will not make them if YOU dont ask...

All 4.7L owners who read this need to contact COMP CAMS... Aftermarket cams will open the entire aftermarket to the 4.7L engine. With Cams all big name performance manufacture will have no choice but to start supporting it.

I say this because with cams available there will be more people modifing their 4.7L engines... So give them a call & shoot Comp Cams an E-mail.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

buddhasc 02-06-2013 09:02 AM

I'm having serious trouble finding cams for my 4.7 now. Any advice anybody?

snrusnak 02-11-2013 12:19 PM

I believe they have been discontinued. Contact crane or comp to get custom regrinds. You'd have to provide a set of oem cams, but it's relatively inexpensive.

BigBenHayon 04-18-2013 11:49 PM

Here's an idea... Spoke to Nick @ AirRam yesterday. Has anyone looked into 09 and newer cams? Physically looked at the 4th Gen(?) to make sure firing order and journal sizes are the same as 3rd Gens...

I am seriously interested in this build. I would also look in to swapping on the current generation of heads and intake to my 05 short block. It should be a "Bolt-On" deal. I will do it when I am home long enough to do the research, but hoping others may be interested...