DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   5.9 performance (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=39391)

2002DodgeRamSport 06-02-2009 10:43 PM

5.9 performance

I have a 5.9 v8, froma CAI. Im looking for more power so i can smoke the tires from a dead stop. What should i add next? Open to any suggestions nothing to radical like FI.
Thanks, Ryan :smileup:

hotrodder 06-02-2009 11:21 PM

You can't get the tires to smoke with a 5.9? Hmmm... OK. What all has been to the motor so far? Also, do you know what the running gear is?

On a side note, don't quite see why you can't get the 5.9 to fry the tires, I worked on, and drove a Ram 1500 third door 2x4 a little while back, nice truck. Nothing really done to the motor, stock, with aftermarket dual exhaust, had regular street radial tires with bigger than stock aftermarket wheels (nothing idiotic I'd say, size wise that is, maybe 18" wheels)... Test drove the truck, god down the road from the shop, and without meaning to, it spun the the tires, and I even saw some smoke from the tires... Bad thing is, I wasn't really even pushing it at all... I wanted the truck (it belonged to a used car dealership) tried to talk with one of the guys that worked at the place, but couldn't even get the guy to look at me... So someone else ended up with it.
If this truck did this with a stock motor, I'm sure we can arrange something to where you should be able to melt the tires... LOL. :)

2002DodgeRamSport 06-03-2009 11:45 AM

I am not sure on the gears in the rear but i know it has a LSD. Could that be why it doesnt like to smoke them around a corner. Sure i can squeal them and can get them smoking with powerbraking but i just want to step on it and roast em.

2002DodgeRamSport 06-03-2009 11:46 AM

Oh yeah only thing done to the motor is a CAI. AirRaid. Very impressed with it.

2002DodgeRamSport 06-03-2009 11:46 AM

I have all terrain tires and they grip very well almost brand new.

nim81 06-03-2009 01:41 PM

might also check your plenum plate inside your intake manifold, its common for the gasket to go bad and leak oil into your intake manifold. losing tons of power. take a flashlight and look down into your TB and if you can see any visible oil then you need to fix it.
hughes makes a replacement that works great.

chithead 06-03-2009 02:11 PM

Good info ^ the 5.9 should not have the TMS in first gear that the HEMI does, so spinning tires should be easy, as cake.

nim81 06-03-2009 04:19 PM

its all in the gears and tire size. the 3.55 gears that are most likely in your truck just KILL low end power.
if you really wanna do some burnouts, get some 4.56 gears.
also if your went up a tire size from stock it wont do it either.

2002DodgeRamSport 06-03-2009 11:32 PM

How much top speed would i lose with 4.11 gears? And how hard would it be to change the plenum plate gasket if it is bad? I just had a tune up done on the whole truck i bet they would have found it but maybe not.

2002DodgeRamSport 06-03-2009 11:34 PM

And how much MPG would i lose. Second gears or exhaust first?