DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Rust Repair (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   So much RUST... what can I do??? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=39565)

bigredwhore 06-06-2009 11:27 PM

So much RUST... what can I do???

I recently purchased a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500, 105000miles. Runs/hauls great. My concern is that there is A LOT of rust underneath - I refer to her as the "rust bomb". Not sure if this make/yr/model is prone to so much rust. Should I be concerned? Also any reccomendations on maintenance for it due to milage and no history?

Thanks - allison

erm 06-07-2009 12:19 AM

Allison,

Welcome to the forum! If it's surface rust, you can STOP it!

Get some POR-15 rust inhibitor coating.

raider9701 10-17-2009 11:23 PM

My 2000 Ram rusts at the bottom of the doors. I got replacements at www.fixmyrust.com and they really helped me out. My truck has 145k and I do my best to take care of it, change the fluids regularly and with good products.

strang3majik 10-18-2009 12:54 AM

Ospho...best stuff out there...turns rust back into iron, and it actually works.

But...you haven't seen bad...my dad bought a ram that apparently was from Michigan as an ex plow truck (we found this out later)...

there were chunks...yes, chunks (about 2" x 2") pieces of the engine block peeling off.

That truck is no longer in our possession :p

Xxbrittox 04-24-2010 03:07 PM

There's small areas of rust on my front chrome bumper..the lower part of the bumper, anyway..and on the back bumper where there was a dent...

Any ideas on what to use to get these out? They're not huge areas of rust..but they still bother me.

erm 04-24-2010 03:17 PM

Surface rust or has it eaten out the chrome?

Normally, rust under the chrome requires a strip and re-chroming.

Yeah, that sucks but it will just spread if you don't do it.

Xxbrittox 04-24-2010 03:44 PM

I don't know..they're real small..I didn't notice them when I first got the truck almost a year ago..so I think it happened during the snow storms we had this year.

SLINGBLADE 11-07-2010 01:46 AM

Minor pitting and surface rust on chrome bumpers cleans easily with fine steel wool or sos pads..if usuing an sos pad wet it first..works well..then polish after youre done

fxdrider 02-28-2011 06:51 AM

I have a '96 Ram 1500. The frame is about 95% sound - that is, a little surface rust here and there...nothing to write home about. However, the front frame members, about 5" to the rear of the front bumper where the frame dips downward briefly, I can crush the rust-pulverized steel with my bare hand. Hope I never get in a front end collision!