DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=189)
-   -   Filling the gas tank (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=39645)

Skyracing 06-10-2009 11:22 PM

Filling the gas tank

I am the owner of a 2008 Dodge RAM. I have found that I can not start the gas pump and let the truck fill until the gas pump shuts off. Once the gas pump hits the shut off point, gas comes back out and runs down the side of the truck. Does not matter where I get gas.

Does anyone else experience this? Is it a bad design?

Sparky 06-11-2009 12:11 AM

I had my '06 in for service(all my shocks were leaking), and the dealer gave me a '08 as a free rental. The same thing happened when I went to fill it before I returned the truck. So your truck is not the only one doing it. Sorry I do not know how to fix it because it was not my truck, so I do not have it anymore.

chithead 06-11-2009 10:14 AM

I must admit, my 08 did that the first few times I filled it. But I finally figured out how to set the nozzle in there and haven't had a problem since. I don't know if I could explain it, just become second nature now. Basically I let the nozzle set so it is almost pointing straight down into the fill tube. Takes some stress off the side of the truck too I am sure (I always have this fear of my body panel bowing out from the weight of the nozzle and hose)

Sparky 06-12-2009 12:15 AM

Chithead, man you must have some BIG gas pumps where you live to be scared of them bowing out your panel. jk.........................that is funny man. we all have our fears.

erm 06-12-2009 01:27 AM

Normally, it's the orientation of the nozzle to the fill tube, as chithead indicated. Just play with different positions. I would think that the further into the tube you can insert the nozzle (no smart aleck remarks here, chithead!) will help alleviate the air pressure bubble and fuel backup.

Excoastie 06-14-2009 06:40 AM

typically I'll just hold the nozzle, creating a slow steady fill rate. when I fill the truck this way, I've go to be careful squeezing in enough to get to the next whole dollar, sometimes a couple of cents at a time. As often as not, I'll not make it to the next dollar amount, will settle for not stopping on a penny.

I either read or heard somewhere that you're better off filling the tank slowly. I think you're able to get more liquid fuel, and less vapors this way, (if I'm wrong, I've been enjoying my delusions for many years now).

Exco

08ChrisRam 06-14-2009 04:03 PM

I have an 08 ram and have never ecperienced this I do alway's try to insert the the pump as far as possible. however I wonder if the pump always stops short of actually being full cause like Excoastie I always try to round up to the next dollar on more than one occasion I have put up to 2 more dollars in the tank after the pump stops

08 Ram manny 06-20-2009 06:20 PM

I have an 08 also and i have the same problem.I refuse to fill it up because of this .I tryed putting the nozzle in different ways ,but the same thing happens.I noticed that they don,t have that little steal flap on the inside of the gas tank to stop someone from putting things in the tank,mybe this has something to do with it.Hope someone can help

08 Ram manny 06-20-2009 06:23 PM

I have same problem

boostjunkie1 06-21-2009 03:25 AM

Guys and Gals.... It is all about how you are holding the Nozzle in there :hah:...... When you have the gas pump at full bore you are putting in more liquid fuel faster then the air/vapors can escape through the tank vent. That causes the overfill and gas down the side of the truck.......NEVER fill the gas tank of you Truck to the very tip top..... Gas comes out of the ground at 56 degs (Average).....When it gets into your tank it starts to warm up and the vapors/gas starts to expand.......Ever see a small plastic gas can look like it is getting ready to explode :smiledown:............The pumps have a shut off that when the pressure build up gets to a certian point they shut themselves down to keep from overfilling your tank and causing a huge mess......Run the pump until it shuts off and quit! Boost