DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Air hissing noise under engine/transmission! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=39882)

Ramblerman 06-23-2009 12:02 AM

Air hissing noise under engine/transmission!

Hi all,

I just bought my '02 Quad Cab 4x4 with the 4.7 V8 and 5-speed less than a week ago! I love this truck!!! Great forum too! I was curious about something though. Whenever the engine is running, there is a very loud hissing, or whooshing, noise coming from under the truck around the middle of the engine/transmission area. When I turn off the engine, the noise does not just stop, it continues to sound like it is leaking for a couple of seconds.

Is this possibly something to do with engine vacuum? Is there something under there that would cause this? The truck runs great, and I have had other cars with vacuum leaks and usually they do not run that well!

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

erm 06-23-2009 12:04 AM

What you are describing might be a small exhaust leak or a pinhole in the catalytic converter. There are no vacuum lines there. I'd inspect the exhaust.

Good luck and let us know what you find!

Ramblerman 06-23-2009 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADDOG (Post 65249)
What you are describing might be a small exhaust leak or a pinhole in the catalytic converter. There are no vacuum lines there. I'd inspect the exhaust.

Good luck and let us know what you find!

Cool, thanks! That sounds logical. I will get under the truck in the next day or so and see what I can see!

-Daniel

erm 06-23-2009 12:34 AM

While you are under there, Daniel, check all around. Look for the obvious, such as an exhaust flange that is loose, a loose fuel evap cannister hose, etc...

Good luck!

chithead 06-23-2009 08:59 AM

He's the man right there ^^^ Great suggestions sir. I wanted to add maybe checking around the airbox on top of the intake. Perhaps the previous owner had a CAI, put the stock airbox back on before selling it, and didn't get a clamp tight enough?

4doordodge4life 06-23-2009 09:27 AM

i have the same thing except its coming from my intake!, 164,000+ miles on it was a scott's lawn truck (so guaranteed no mods) what could THAT be?

Ramblerman 06-29-2009 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADDOG (Post 65264)
While you are under there, Daniel, check all around. Look for the obvious, such as an exhaust flange that is loose, a loose fuel evap cannister hose, etc...

Good luck!

You were right, Maddog! I finally got a chance to look under my truck today. It turns out that one of the "coupler" hoses going to the fuel emissions canister under the truck had a very nice crack in it. :158: In less than 5 minutes I replaced that little rubber hose (the ones in between the non-repairable plastic emissions tubing) and the hissing was gone! Woohoo! The idle actually seems a bit higher too, which I guess makes sense!

Thanks,
Daniel

chithead 06-29-2009 09:46 AM

I am telling you, he is the man!

Ramblerman 06-29-2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chithead (Post 66475)
I am telling you, he is the man!

You were right! I bow to Maddog for knowing the cause of the problem, and I bow to Chithead for knowing that Maddog would know the cause of the problem! :smileup: :beerchug:

Daniel

Sparky 06-29-2009 06:21 PM

Maddog looks like you got a following, but they are both Daniel how do you tell them apart? JK