DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2009 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   MDS light - Post up your thoughts (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=39918)

david55838 06-24-2009 12:26 PM

MDS light - Post up your thoughts

I know there was some discussion on this elsewhere, but I thought we could centralize it. Here's my .02 so far:

I just dropped off the truck for the spray on bedliner and asked the SA about it. He checked with 'someone', and told me that the MDS light will only come on if there's an issue with the system...

Since the truck is so new, I don't know what to expect mileage wise, but I drove it like a grandma down to the stealership, and I managed to get 23 mpg as an average. It's only got 100 miles on it, so this is probably pretty good and would lead me to believe that the MDS system is working.

topgun 06-24-2009 08:06 PM

There should be a "Fuel Saver" light that comes on when the MDS is activated. It is located right above the Cruise Control indicator in the EVIC. Early 09 models built up into the Nov/Dec timeframe do not have this light. Not sure of the exact date but there are threads around about this. Mine comes on all the time when easy on the pedal. I think they did a great job with the programming. Could even be a little more agressive in it's application at times. You can see the MPG numbers go up fast when it's activated.

I too drove like a Grandma and had the readout in the 20 + mpg range. But true hand calculating lowered the actual amount to a still respectable 18 MPG. Not bad for a heavy truck with 390 hp, 3.92 gears, and 20" rims. I noticed that the MPGs start to drop when headed over around 55-60 MPH. Probably due to wind resistance.

Look to see when your's was built. Should be on the door tag or look under the truck on the frame rail, thinking it is the right side. There is a big barcode sticker with your VIN and has a date on it. You can't miss it, look on the side of the main rail under the cab.

topgun 06-24-2009 09:32 PM

Just another thought, if you have a newer build and the light doesn't come on, look under "Setup" on your EVIC. Make sure "Fuel Saver Display" has a check mark beside it.

david55838 06-25-2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topgun (Post 65707)
There should be a "Fuel Saver" light that comes on when the MDS is activated. It is located right above the Cruise Control indicator in the EVIC. Early 09 models built up into the Nov/Dec timeframe do not have this light. Not sure of the exact date but there are threads around about this. Mine comes on all the time when easy on the pedal. I think they did a great job with the programming. Could even be a little more agressive in it's application at times. You can see the MPG numbers go up fast when it's activated.

I too drove like a Grandma and had the readout in the 20 + mpg range. But true hand calculating lowered the actual amount to a still respectable 18 MPG. Not bad for a heavy truck with 390 hp, 3.92 gears, and 20" rims. I noticed that the MPGs start to drop when headed over around 55-60 MPH. Probably due to wind resistance.

Look to see when your's was built. Should be on the door tag or look under the truck on the frame rail, thinking it is the right side. There is a big barcode sticker with your VIN and has a date on it. You can't miss it, look on the side of the main rail under the cab.

That explains it! 12/08 build, so no light...

topgun 06-25-2009 05:54 PM

I did some checking and it appears that if your truck is a Dec build, you should have the light. Make sure you have it turned on.

Mattones 07-09-2009 08:12 PM

Mine is 12/08 built in the USA and no light (N). How does one turn it on?

topgun 07-12-2009 05:29 PM

Must of been midway through December that the update happened. If you look in your EVIC and don't have the option to turn it on and off, then you must not have the light. If I remember correctly, it is near the bottom of the list.

needmorecowbell 07-13-2009 05:51 PM

Do you have to go through the dealership to get the code to unlock the SETUP option?
The dealership said they would not unlock it for me. So I can find out if MDS is on. I have a 2009 Dodge ram built in Sept 2008.

topgun 07-13-2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by needmorecowbell (Post 68444)
Do you have to go through the dealership to get the code to unlock the SETUP option?
The dealership said they would not unlock it for me. So I can find out if MDS is on. I have a 2009 Dodge ram built in Sept 2008.

You have MDS, just not the light. All Hemi trucks built since 2006 have it. 09 gets VCT and a dual plane intake also which also help increase your MPGs. You don't turn it on and off. The setting was just for the light which you will not have. Actually, it is just a message that says "Fuel Saver" when it is in the 4cyl mode which is controlled by the computer. As long as you are in D and not in Two Haul, it will work automatically.

If you have the EVIC with the steering wheel controls, you just select "Setup" to view your user selectable options. There is no code needed. But you have to be in park to get into the setup mode or it will show as locked. It's in the owners manual starting on page 233. Not all trucks have the EVIC though.

needmorecowbell 07-14-2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topgun (Post 68469)
You have MDS, just not the light. All Hemi trucks built since 2006 have it. 09 gets VCT and a dual plane intake also which also help increase your MPGs. You don't turn it on and off. The setting was just for the light which you will not have. Actually, it is just a message that says "Fuel Saver" when it is in the 4cyl mode which is controlled by the computer. As long as you are in D and not in Two Haul, it will work automatically.

If you have the EVIC with the steering wheel controls, you just select "Setup" to view your user selectable options. There is no code needed. But you have to be in park to get into the setup mode or it will show as locked. It's in the owners manual starting on page 233. Not all trucks have the EVIC though.

Ahhhhhhh read the owners manual. That explains it. Thanks.