DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (
-   Towing (
-   -   Towing issues (

chris66 07-14-2009 03:49 PM

Towing issues
Hi Everybody,

Just came back from a trip, towing about 4500lb. The truck handled the load pretty well I would say, plenty of power, so I am quite happy here even though it seemed to have . What I didn’t like though, is that the rear end was feeling kinda “springy” to me, bouncing up and down sometimes (at least that was my feeling).
There are no mods on the truck other than few cosmetic ones and adding a canopy. I read a bit about these air bags you can install and I phoned the dealer to see what they think about the problem and if they have any suggestions. First thing they said was to blame it on the hitch equalizer, maybe wasn’t set and adjusted properly, so I am going to have it looked at just for the peace of mind.
Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Is it the hitch equalizer or is the coil springs in the rear suspension? If it’s the springs, will installing the air bags help?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide

MrDodge300 07-14-2009 04:31 PM

i have leafs in the rear and i have the same feeling i just think that it is just the extra weight on the suspention but im no expert so i could be wrong

kcr9220 07-21-2009 07:52 AM

4500 pounds is quite a bit of weight, especially sitting on the hitch. You may have to get some airbags to assist you.

boostjunkie1 07-21-2009 08:37 PM

Dodge used a couple different spring rates on the new 09's. The TRX's have the heavy duty springs compared to the Sports and Laramie Rams. You can add some Firestone Air bags to the mix and help with the squatting. Or you can order some heavy duty springs for the rear. If you tow only every now and then get the Air Bags.

erm 07-21-2009 10:57 PM

Air bags or a load leveling/anti-sway hitch is what I'd recommend. The load leveling hitch will spread the tongue weight between the truck and the trailer. They work pretty good!

Any idea what your tongue weight is?

Toms Blue Ram 1500 07-22-2009 12:36 AM

Equalizer bars work greaty . Tie everything together real nice .

norco 08-02-2009 07:48 PM

RideRite aribags are great they will take care of the problem.

Blackzilla 08-02-2009 08:36 PM

airbag it.......:smileup:

BigTJohn 01-06-2012 10:40 PM

I have toweda travel trailer (2) one was 5000 lbs the new one is 5700 lbs. I have not done a tongue weight yet but I do know the Reese anti-sway/load equalizer hitch does make a huge difference. It must be adjusted with the trailer LOADED to normal towing/traveling weight. If not, then you get the up/down feeling like the trailer is pushing you some as you go down the road. Not too bad on level roads but can be deadly in mountains esp. downhill. Get the right hitch and it's all good.

emmyshemi 01-10-2012 02:30 PM

I also have a travel trailer and the rear end was the same way. I installed airlift 1000 air bags to the rear coil springs. The install was easy, and they have solved the problem, 100%. I purchased them from, and they are well under $100. There is no need for a on-board compressor. I ran the valve stem straight out the back, just to the right of the license plate. It looks like its straight from the factory. It seems that its hard to find something to work as well as you hope it will, these airbags have exceeded my expectations.