DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   3500 mega cab ac problem (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=40389)

reds 07-17-2009 06:35 PM

3500 mega cab ac problem

I'm hoping someone can help with ac problem
ac blows cold and is fully charged but will not cool down cab
on short trips and takes quite a while to cool off on long trips.
Also passenger vents blow much warmer than than driver side.
I'm wondering if anyone has upgraded fan or had a similar problem
and could give some insight.
History of ac system
it never worked right & it was serviced over ten times by dealer over a 1 1/2 year period. They replaced almost every part in system and removed dash twice till they finally found original leak. Now system holds charge but still will not cool truck properly. Both my son and brother have 5.9l quad cabs and they both have great ac cooling.
I dont know if dealer screwed up something or if mega cab is just to big for existing system. I love the truck with 96000 miles no other problems since new but it would be nice to be cool

thanks

Toms Blue Ram 1500 07-17-2009 06:52 PM

How does it cool when on Max . When on max is when you get your best cooling because it is circulating air from the cab back through the system to be cooled again . It's easier for it to cool already cooled air than taking the air from outside and trying to cool it . When you put it on max , you should hear a duct open (normally under the passenger side of the dash) and hear the fan more easily than if it were pulling air from the outside . Let me know . I'm no a/c man but have been around the block quite a few times .

reds 07-17-2009 07:00 PM

Thanks for help
Door does open when put on max which increases volume of air but unless I drive at high speed for about 20 to 30 minutes it just will not cool properly

Toms Blue Ram 1500 07-17-2009 08:06 PM

Check and make sure you don't have alot of debris in or around your condensor/radiator area . Have been known to find sometimes leaves stuck between the radiator and condensor which will effect the cooling . Might not hurt to even clean your condensor . Thats what removes the heat from the freon before it returns back to the cab to remove more heat . Make sure all fans are doing their job . Both mechanical and electrical if equipped .

reds 07-18-2009 08:50 PM

Thanks again
Would like to add drivers side vents blow 10 to 15 degrees cooler than passenger side

ljonesj 07-19-2009 12:12 AM

still sounds like a damper door is hung somewhere maybe some of the heater is leaking heat through the vents as coolant always runs through the heater core

Toms Blue Ram 1500 07-19-2009 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljonesj (Post 69358)
still sounds like a damper door is hung somewhere maybe some of the heater is leaking heat through the vents as coolant always runs through the heater core

Thats a posssibility . Don't know if it's still cable operated or motor driven .

1997ram 07-19-2009 10:31 AM

what year and what motor do you have i have alldata. i can look up the info. and maybe send you a photo of the ac comp for the doors.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 07-19-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1997ram (Post 69405)
what year and what motor do you have i have alldata. i can look up the info. and maybe send you a photo of the ac comp for the doors.

Wondering if the blend air door is cable or motor controlled on a one ton mega cab .

ljonesj 07-19-2009 11:11 AM

probably motor but the door could freeze and the motor makes the sound and u hear the clunk but it actualy never moved